Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Six - We make our own Choices

"Why?" Cass asks looking from Naomi to me, "why did you kill him?"

"She killed a traitor Castiel," Naomi states, "she bought her freedom."

"Samandriel was good," he complains, "and I was trying to atone for..."

I snap at him unsure of where the anger came from, "because he was already gone, Cass, he gave away Heaven's secrets!"

"She's right, any of us would rather die to protect our secrets than give it away. The Angel Tablet, Crowley now knows about it."

"One of our own was murdered for a tablet?"

"If the demon tablet can seal demons in Hell," Naomi states, "what do you think the Angel tablet could do to us? Castiel, you and Melanie have done Heaven a great service."

"It doesn't feel like one," I mutter feeling the guilt finally begin to weigh on me, "what do we tell Sam and Dean?" I ask knowing we won't remember this conversation again.

"Castiel knows," she states.

-----

Cass is cradling his fallen brother's body, a hole in his chest is evident but I don't remember how it got there, did we do that?

"Cass!" Sam shouts approaching us, "what happened?"

"He was compromised," his voice is soft, "he came at us; I killed him in self-defense."

He sets the body down and stands brushing off his trench coat.

"Cass, you okay?" Dean asks.

I look over and find a trickle of blood leaking from one of Cass's eyes, what the hell?

"My vessel must have been damaged in the melee," he mutters, "I have to go, Samandriel's remains belong in Heaven."

I watch him grab the body again, cradling it against his body, his eyes lock with mine and then suddenly, he's gone. Dean grabs my hand pulling me into his chest, without realizing it I had begun to cry, hot wet tears streaming down myself; what the hell?

"Let's get back to the cabin," he whispers into my hair, "get you a drink, okay?"

I nod against his chest and he helps me inside, Sam checking to make sure that no one is around before we take off into the night. He lets his brother drive us home; Dean is cradling me in his lap comforting me even though neither of us really know why I lost control of my emotions like I did; was it something Cass said? Was it something with Samandriel? I don't even remember the Angel trying to attack us at all he was too damn weak for that, wasn't he? I scrunch my eyes tight trying to remember but all I can really remember is making it outside after we pulled him free of the contraption. We arrive back at the cabin in the morning; I'm still in a sleepy emotional stupor so Dean deposits me on the couch while Sam draws sigils on the walls making the place smell like spray paint. I don't open my eyes after he finishes while keeping my breathing even and steady as if I'm still sleeping.

"That should do it," Sam states, "Cass can't see or hear us now."

"Okay, what the hell?" Dean splutters and Sam responds with, "I know."

"I told you something was off about the two of them since they got back from Purgatory."

"So, what, you think someone's messing with him or the both of them or something?"

There's a pause as I'm assuming Dean starts to pace the room.

"Who?" he asks after a beat.