Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-Nine - Deliver a Soul unto Heaven

Once we're in the open air of monsterland I relax just a bit.

"What the hell is this?"

"All right," I mutter, "don't get pissed off, Purgatory."

"Balls!" he shouts and whacks me in the back and I scream a little louder than necessary; his eyes go wide, "Melanie, what's wrong?"

I lift part of my shirt to reveal the tightly wound ace bandage and my throbbing ribs, dad tilts his head as if not understanding what I showed him; sighing I straighten up wincing at the spot he hit me.

"Broken ribs," I mutter, "they're pretty much on the mend but still tender as hell."

"So, you thought diving into monsterland to save me would help them heal'?"

We start walking to the spot where we're supposed to meet Ajay, I tell dad about the bunker, about the trials which is why I'm springing him from Hell regardless of my injuries.

"So how many more of these trials after this?" he asks.

"Just one. Don't know what it is though – not yet. Kevin's still translating."

"Well, you saw back there in Hell," Dad says, "I ain't got a lot of rust, just feels good to be back in action again. Might be handy if you had me around to help."

I stop walking then feeling a wash of sadness and shame come over me.

"Dad, I'd love...I'd love that, so would the guys believe me," I suck in a breath, "the thing is, for this trial to be completed your soul has to enter Heaven. And besides, if that weren't the case, we burned your body," tears prick my eyes, "there's nothing to tie your spirit to Earth."

"Yeah, yeah well," he sighs, "you know, I always figured that'd be the end of it... you know, just a Hunter's funeral, zip, nothing. And I was okay with that. Imagine my surprise."

"You know I would kill for you to be back with us," I say, "you have no idea how much I miss you, how much those two goofballs miss you too. But if - if there has to be eternity Heaven would be my option."

"Yeah, cause there's nothing screwy going on up there."

"I wish I made the rules."

We walk more almost reaching the spot where Ajay should meet us to take us back to the real world.

"Well...I'll, uh, do my part," dad sighs, "get to the end of this, but... I ain't exactly the retiring type, you idjits figure out a way to spring me...." His words fade away as I look around becoming panicked, "well let's get topside, what's going on Mel?"

"This is it," I say, "this is the place. I'm sure of it."

"Where your cabbie's supposed to meet you?" he asks and I nod, "yeah at exactly," I look at my watch, "now."

"So he's running a bit late."

"No, see, that's the thing," I mutter, "he was very specific, dad, like to the minute."

"And if he doesn't show?" I swallow hard, "we're more than likely stuck in this place," dad can hear the fear in my voice, "you and Dean spent a year in this place?"

"Yeah," I say, "running, fighting all day, every day."

"Must have been hell on Sam not being able to get either of you out all that time," a scowl crosses my face, "he did try, didn't he?"