Chapter 198 - Winning the War

The next morning Sam and I have everything packed and in the car; we're currently sitting at the counter in the local diner having breakfast before we head on home. A waitress behind the counter puts our plates in front of us as a young man sits two stools down from me; he's haggard looking and reaches down the counter at a plate that was just set for another person not too long ago digging his fingers into the food.

"Billy what are you doing?" the waitress scolds, "your mother raise you in a barn?"

"Don't talk to me like that!" he shouts at her and I turn to look at Sam who's gotten partially to his feet as the waitress snaps, "what's eating you?"

"You, my mom," he pushes the glass and plate off the counter the objects shattering, "him, and her," he growls looking at both Sam and me.

"Buddy," Sam warns, "give it a rest."

The kid named Billy stares at Sam who stares right back until the waitress tries to get the man's attention, "Billy, I'm gonna call your mom, have her come fetch you."

"No, you're not," he snarls grabbing my knife and plunging it into the waitress's hand pinning her to the counter; Sam moves quickly knocking the kid down as I take hold of the woman's injured hand to keep it still or she could damage it more, "you!" I shout to an older gentleman sitting farther down the booth pointing with my free hand so he knows I'm talking to him, "call the Sheriff now!"

He does as I command while Sam grapples with Billy proceeding to knock him out; after about twenty minutes the youth is hauled away and an ambulance is taking the injured nurse to the hospital to hopefully save the use of her hand. Sam, the Sheriff, and I are back at the station; not only is the guy, Billy, locked up but there are several more now who are using their blood as ink, hitting their heads off the walls and door that have them locked in.

"What's happening here," Sam asks the Sheriff who shakes his head in disbelief, "I was hoping one of you could tell me, you're the one that mentioned weird."

"Where did they come from?" I ask then knowing the cells were just empty the night before.

"Oh, they're all locals," he admits, "four of the straightest arrows you'd ever meet. Apparently, they've been acting like this for days."

"Did they have anything in common? Church? School? Uh, book club?" Sam asks looking for anything to help us in this.

"Not of my knowledge," he tells us, "oh, I met the kid's girlfriend. She said he was hitching a ride when a van picked him up, and that's the last she heard of him. Whatever that's worth."

I step away from Sam and the Sheriff and head over the Billy's cell, pull a small flask of holy water and splash some on the youth which has no affect however he looks at me with clear, cool eyes.

"What are you?" I ask in a whisper and he smiles, "clear."

"Of?" I ask.

"Everything."

Sam comes over then, nods at the flask in my hand and I shake my head, "no effect whatsoever."

"Why are you doing this?" Sam asks him.

"You think there's a 'why?' no. it's because I want to, and I can."

Sam and I are taking up a few tables deep in the station while looking over all the files of the individuals that are here, the Sheriff brings over some pictures that are surveillance images from the grocery store where Karen had been the day of her husband's gruesome death. Sam is calling Dean once more to get his opinion while I look over the images.