Chapter Eighty - Eight - Reunions

We eventually get settled into a weekly rent motel; the room looks like a miniature apartment with a bedroom secluded to the left of the front door; Cassie had made herself at home on the pull-out couch with new stuffed toys except for the moose that she never lets out of her sight. She's two already and hadn't gotten a party but I had taken her out to a party/arcade place across town, along with ordering her a special cake which the remains of linger in the freezer; I've tried to call Dean multiple times, but he keeps either sending me to voicemail or it rings until it goes to voicemail on its own, so I pretty much gave up on calling him to at least keep in touch with him for his daughter's sake. He hadn't even called his own daughter to wish her a happy birthday which really pissed me off; he gets to skip town then gets mad at me for leaving as well ignoring his own child.

I've went out after she'd fallen asleep on the pullout cough to the motel bar and had a few drinks there flirting with the muscular bartender he's asked to take me back to his place or have dinner, but I've always declined him that pleasure not quite sure what I even want. Cassie is coloring in a book I bought her when someone knocks on the motel door, but she doesn't look up to focused on trying to color in the lines; I look through the small peephole and see that it's the bartender from the motel and sigh a little as I pull the door open.

"Hiya," he smiles at me, "I didn't see you last night, and I thought something happened."

"No, no, I just can't keep leaving my little girl alone while I get a buzz on."

What I don't see now is Cassie turning to answer my phone which must have started to vibrate on the counter; I lean against the doorframe taking in the guy's appearance, he's got tight blue jeans on ripped at one knee and a long sleeve plaid shirt reminding me of the flannels Dean and Sam wear.

"You know the manager of this place has a little girl too," he says, "I don't think she'd mind keeping an eye on her for a night if you'd let me take you to dinner."

"I don't know...it's just her...her father is..." I trail off and his eyes widen, "oh my god, I'm so sorry I didn't realize her father was still in the picture."

"No, it's not that," I mutter, "he's all she knows it just feels a little different for me is all, but I would like to go to dinner with you."

"Really?" his eyes are alight with visual excitment, "how about I pick you up at eight? Sound good?" I nod, "Great! I'll ask Kirstie if she'll watch the little one."

He leaves with a huge grin on his face and I turn closing the door behind me then lean against it putting my head back; am I really going on a date while I'm still married? What is wrong with me? When I look back over at Cassie, I see my phone has moved from the counter to the coffee table where she's coloring and I raise an eyebrow.

"CJ?" I ask and she looks up, "why is my phone moved?"

"I heard it," she explains, "daddy called."

I feel my eyes widen and go over to snatch my phone up, sure enough Dean did call and she had talked to him; what did she say? Does he know what I'm doing tonight now? Is he going to come here? I get a little angry with Cassie for a minute then back off, it's not her fault she has every right to talk to her dad but now of all times he decides to call us? I don't bother to call him back after Cassie talked to him, if he really wants to talk to me, he'll do so but I have a feeling he won't unless he shows up here which makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

"You mad, mommy?" She asks.

"No baby," I kneel down, "no not at you, I could never be mad at you."