Chapter Ninety - Seven - Holding Grudges

When I open my eyes later on it's a little after dawn and the sun is streaking a little bit across the bedroom floor; holding back a yawn I get up carefully without waking Dean whose back is now to me which doesn't come as a shock. I'm still in my bra and panties so I sneak quickly across the hall to my own room; the door is silent as I open it and Cassie is there curled up in the middle of the large bed my comforter wrapped around her as she sleeps soundly; usually she's up early like her uncle but maybe all the excitement and watching her family fighting yesterday wore her out. I grab a pair of sweatpants, a loose sweatshirt and socks before heading out; I dress quietly in the hall my bare feet cold on the wood of the landing. I wonder if Sam is sleeping on the couch or if he's awake maybe I'll see if he wants to go along with me or if it's just best if I go alone for the time being.

I take the steps quickly but slowly at the same time trying to keep from making the wood squeak under my weight but the last one does and I freeze foot raised to step down on the floor of the hall leading to the front door, but when no one calls out or footsteps approach I continue through the house grabbing my cell from the kitchen and see Sam slouched on the couch sleep evident all over his face which makes me smile both of the guys look so young when they're resting. My sneakers are in the study near Sam's foot which is dangling off the couch I reach out tentatively and slip them on trying to keep from making a sound and I pull a pair of headphones from the basket by the front door putting them into my phone and head out to clear my head of this mess.

The air is cold making goosebumps rise on my skin even though I'm 90% covered by the sweatshirt and sweatpants; I walk down the drive adjusting the headphones and grasp the phone tightly in my hand as I draw up to the entrance of the property. Before I take off down the dusty road, I look over my shoulder at the sleeping house, what I would give to live normally to just turn and run away from it all and be someone who actually matters or even be someone normal blind to the supernatural. Shaking my head to clear the fog I start off down the road away from town towards the dead end a few miles away from dad's, he was wise enough to pick a place to live where not many people venture, good thing with all the crazy stuff that goes on around here. I've gone about a mile or so at a light jog by then I've already worked up a sweat and have lowered the hood off my head my fingers brush the collar making me wince because the sweat is getting underneath it and rubbing the skin, I was doing good with ignoring it but now it's come to my full attention once more.

I stop in the middle of the road fog swirling about my legs slowly rising as the sun gets higher in the sky, I'm panting a little from excursion as I push and pull the collar around my throat not feeling any type of release or comfort; the movements make me wince and grunt in pain probably causing bruises underneath the metal as I try and work the item free. I don't know why I keep trying, it's really of no use since it's magically sealed around my neck, my phone decides to vibrate then as Dean calls probably noticing that I'm no longer in bed nor in the house.

"Hello?" my breathing is still a little ragged, "where are you? I woke up and you were gone."

"Out for a run, I needed to clear my head."

"Well, Sam, Bobby and I need to run out to the Campbell place to look for more lore on Eve," he explains, "Sam says he remembers where they kept that stuff; do you want to go? Or stay with Cassie for a while?"

"Yeah, just uh...just give me some time to get back. I'll let you know then what I want to do."

I hang up not waiting for a response, it's going to take a bit to get back to the house since I slowed down and came to a complete stop followed by losing my drive to go much more, however I push myself to the limit even as the collar starts rubbing my skin worse than before and I yearn to itch the skin underneath but I grit my teeth and push forward until I'm back at the house panting in the opening to the driveway. Dean's on the front porch as the other two are loading the Impala with things even though he reassures me that they won't be gone for too long.