Chapter 80 - Life and Death, The Natural Order

Tessa comes back and escorts me to another town, we're walking down a sidewalk towards a man eating a rather large slice of pizza, oh god this guy's more than likely going to die of a heart attack or stroke; his size says that he indulged in junk for a large part of his life. We stop right next to the bench as he grabs his chest, face scrunching up in pain the pizza falls to the concrete by his feet, once his head falls forward, I reach a hand out touching his shoulder without hesitation.

"Why?" he asks reappearing next to his body, "maybe it was that extra cheese?" My voice wasn't' condescending or even harsh, just a light joke, however he just nods, "but it was good though."

His eyes find mine, they're sad now really understanding this was the end of the line for his life.

"Time to go man, a better place waits for you."

"Wait, will you tell me what it all means?"

"I...I can't really explain it to you, we are born, we live then we die, it's just how things go."

Tessa takes his shoulder, "she's new."

They both disappear but she didn't look that disgusted with what I said to the man maybe I am getting the hang of this, the only thing that scares me now is that this won't just be a walk in the park, death isn't just gunshot wounds and heart attacks. I watch people crowd around the man's body calling an ambulance even though it's too late to save him, stepping back I feel Tessa touch my arm and we're in a hospital outside a room of a little girl. There are machines beeping, a father sits beside the girl's bed reading to her, my heart thuds loudly in my ears, God what if this was Cassie? What if this was Jody's son? Can I actually reap this girl?

"The dad or kid?" I whisper.

"Kid," her response is flat.

"Come on, what is she? 13?" Tessa shakes her head, "she's 12."

The father has now pulled out a picture album showing the girl images of her life so far, of her mother and others beyond that.

"Does he have other family?"

"No, not really," I groan, "well that's awesome." She turns to me, "what, you thought it was all gonna be armed robbers and heart attacks waiting to happen?"

"She's 12!" I argue, "and yes I did think about that kind of stuff while you were gone with that last soul, Tessa, I can't take her; it's like taking my own child."

"She has a serious heart condition."

"Who's next on the list?"

"Melanie, you have to take her," she insists, "part of the job, remember?"

"No no," I shake my head, "I'm death I should get to say who goes and who doesn't." She rubs her face with one hand frustrated with where this is headed, "no, you're just a stand in but he doesn't make the rules either it's destiny."

"I've spent most of my life fighting that crap," I say, "there's no such thing as destiny, just like there was no apocalypse, just a bunch of stuck-up mooks who didn't want us human slaves asking questions, I say she lives."

"You know," she tilts her head, "I don't think you're buying a word you're saying; you're trying to convince us both of that."

"I do believe it."

"Oh really?" she challenges, "so all the times you or those boys messed with life and death, they worked out for you It was just a beach party every time, huh?"