Chapter One Hundred and Eighteen - Betrayal

The next case came as a surprise a few weeks later, Jody had called about bodies of people that were mummified and it turns out that the God Kronos was responsible for that one. Dean ended up going back in time with the God, met a famous movie detective of our time while Sam, Jody and myself tried to figure out a way to bring him back and kill the monster which in the end was a lot easier than expected thanks to undercover hunters in the time period Dean had disappeared into. Bringing us back to now, Sam's asleep on the one motel bed while I've been continually pacing madly by the door waiting for Dean to come back, he went out for a drink at the local bar, but I haven't heard from him or seen him since he left here.

We'd gone and seen the crime scenes and bodies that had been flung across the room, then feet and hands cut off which was none too appealing, but the job is a job which we really know is our thing. Dawn is just breaking when there's buzz from the police scanner that there has been another dead body just like the other's Sam and I rush to the crime scene to find Dean there looking rumpled in his clothes.

"You look like crap," Sam notes.

"Yeah well, I feel worse; I do recommend the Cobalt room, by the way. Although I'm getting too old for...." His eyes catch mine as I step around Sam, "I dare you to finish that sentence," I growl harshly.

"Melanie...I," he starts but Sam speaks up to try and cover his brother's mess, "I couldn't figure out that symbol, going to need an expert."

The boys head inside to talk more with the police and see the latest body but I stay outside in the shade of the large tree next to the apartment building; he cheated after being married to me for so long, after he said he wouldn't sleep with another woman afraid to betray me even if we weren't actually together. Somehow, I knew things were going to be too good to be true; he was waiting for me to crack to move on to someone else, but it seems to me that he couldn't wait any longer to do so. Sighing heavily, I head back to the car deposit my phone, motel card key, and wedding ring into the cup holder of the car then take a couple hundred bucks Dean stashed in the visor and start walking down the streets for a ride back to Rufus's cabin or at least to the town and then I'll walk to the place.

I've walked for a few hours the sun beginning to set again when I start putting out a thumb to big rig truckers for a ride; I can only go so far before passing out on the road or get eaten by a large animal. Several go by honking at me or deliberately splashing through puddles making my situation worse. Grumbling under my breath I stop to wring out my jacket when Lucifer appears beside me looking unhappy and testy.

"Go the hell away," I growl.

"It's just you and me," he says, "no one to stop you from taking yourself out, know what I mean?"

"It's bad enough I have to deal with Dean's betrayal," I mutter, "I don't need you rubbing it in."

"Come on," he whines, "you know me better than that Melanie."

Another truck is coming, and I stick out my thumb with the coat still draped over my arm and he slows down starting to roll down his window, his eyes scan me up and down before saying anything.

"Doin' alright miss?" he asks.

"Just leaving a dead-beat husband," I grumble, "would you mind giving a girl a lift for a few miles?" He grins, "well ain't that a shame, his loss I suppose I wouldn't mind a little company," he says, "come on up."

I move around the front of the truck when Lucifer grabs my arm and I stare down at it then glare at him.

"Do you really want to be doing that?" he asks, "I may be the Devil and enjoy torture but this, something doesn't feel right."