Chapter 170 - Where there's a trail, there's a red headed bitch

Sam parks the car a bit away from the scene and we get out flashing our badge at the officers who are keeping the public at bay. Sam sniffs deeply then turns to me, "this place reeks of sulfur."

"Yeah," I nod, "the research we did on the way here mentioned that there'd been freak storms and within the three miles of the place all the cows are dead," a woman walks up to us a scowl on her face.

"Hi, uh Agents Stark and Banner, FBI," Sam and I show our badges to her, but she doesn't seem impressed, "just need to have a look around, please."

"Why?" She queries, "this is a military case, not a federal one."

"Well," Sam says, "it's not what our supervisor said."

"That so?" She snaps, "then maybe him and I oughta have a chat."

Sam glances at me with a worried expression, I feel my face begin to pale but instead of panicking I pull my phone out, dial Kevin's number and wait for him to answer and after a few rings he does.

"Hey?" he sounds confused, "hey boss, we got a uh little problem here."

"Boss?" he asks.

I hear him fumbling around in the background for a long minute.

"Yeah," I extend the phone out to the woman, "all yours."

"This is Sergeant Miranda Bates," she says right away, "who am I talking to?" She pauses a beat listening then glares at me, "how old are you?" Again she waits, "listen kid, I don't have to do anything and I don't take orders from the Feebs." I watch her face as she becomes angrier, "so unless you can give me one good reason you got a couple of persistent nerd agents poking around my crime scene, I'm gonna put them in cuffs and spank your ass raw, understand?"

I almost feel my jaw drop but stop just in time as she waits again but this time, she's the one who pales at whatever Kevin is saying; I wonder if he scooped up anything bad on her records or something like that.

"How did you find that?" She's really pale now, eyes glistening just a little, "yes," she grumbles then she follows it with, "yes sir."

She sighs then hands the phone back walks away without a word.

"What did you do?" I ask and he chuckles, "all military computers are linked to the same network."

"And?"

Sam raises an eyebrow wondering if we're good to check things out but I'm waiting on Kevin; taking that as the go ahead he heads off towards the bus which is the center of the crime scene.

"I hacked it," I can hear the snugness in his voice, "God kid, you're a genius. Thanks for the back up."

I hang up then put the phone away in my jacket; nodding to a few officers as I go, I join Sam in the bus; the damn thing reeks worse than the outside does but there are three dead bodies slouched in the bus seats.

"Anything?" I ask, "yeah, this guy was shot in the heart."

He pulls the lapels of the guy's coat and unbuttons the shirt to reveal a puckered bullet hole.

"That wasn't what killed him though, was it?" He shakes his head, "maybe – fifteen, twenty years ago. Every one of these bodies has a fatal wound, or two or three," he looks up, "but they're all old."

"So, uh as Dean would say 'meatsuits?'"

"Yeah, probably," he sighs, "I think they were possessed and now those soldiers are."