Chapter 188 - Awkward Times

A few days later I'm released from the hospital with my chest bound tight by white hospital gauze and tape; we're headed to say goodbye to Garth and his pack. Dean was the one who rushed me to the hospital while leaving his brother behind to help Garth and Bess get free along with getting a hold of the girl's father about what happened at the farm. I'd taken the pain killers about an hour earlier which really helps since they're hospital grade stuff and not over the counter crap that hardly ever works.

"You're a fool you know that," Dean murmurs while driving, "a damn fool, but you saved a life."

"Yeah, but I almost lost my own."

"It's the job," Sam says and I scoff, "but why is it always one of us that has to huh? I mean I guess what I did was just instinct, more or less. Bess didn't deserve that, so I did what I thought was best."

"Garth and Bess probably feel the same way," Dean mutters, "especially her father."

We travel in silence as we reach the Reverend's house, we're greeted by Garth at the door, Bess is with her father in the living area. Out of nowhere Garth crushes me in a hug and I let out a gasp of pain and he pulls back looking pale realizing what he did, "oh, I'm so sorry, Melanie."

"It's...it's okay Garth," I rub the spot lightly on my chest, "and you can uh call me Mel if you want."

His face lights up then, "alright, Bess and I owe you so much for what you did."

"Part of the job, Garth, you know that."

"Well Garth," Sam says, "be good, you hear me?"

He nods and takes Sam in a crushing hug, then after a minute they pull away, I smile at Garth once more and follow Sam out of the house. Dean's eyes follow us while he talks with Garth some more about that night and to ask how the Reverend is. As we wait at the car Sam nudges my shoulder with his arm and I look up at him, I can see the sadness in his eyes now that we're done helping Garth because we'll be going our separate ways from Dean once again because apparently it's too dangerous to be with him.

"We'll be fine," I murmur not only to him but myself as well, "we'll have each other, Sam, I've got your back and you have mine, right?" he nods, "then that's all we need. If he changes his mind, then so be it but it's his choice."

As Dean comes out the front door we get into our usual designated spot in the Impala and wait for Dean; the ride back to Garth's apartment is long and quiet as Dean takes us back to the car we arrived in. Sam and I go to get out and he says to Dean, "we'll send you a postcard."

His brother doesn't respond as we leave the car and shut the door, I'm just opening the passenger door of Sam's car when Dean shouts, "hey!" we both turn to look at him, "U-uh, listen, that night that, uh... you know, we went our – our separate ways..." Sam scoffs, "you mean the night you split after Mel left?"

"Fair enough," he nods, "I was messed up, man. Kevin was dead, and I ... I don't know what I was."

"Right because it finally came out that you lied and betrayed me so you felt like trash," I growl, "you couldn't take it, so you split from Sam then because you claim to be 'poison'," I quote my fingers around the word, "even though that's not true."

"What she said," Sam mutters, "but continue if you weren't done."

"Maybe I still don't know what's wrong with me," Dean states continuing after my outburst, "but uh... I know I took a piece of the both of you in the process and for that..." he sighs struggling for words for a few minutes then seems to find his words again, "somebody changed the playbook, you know? It's like what – what – what's right is wrong and what's wrong is more wrong, and I... I just know that when... when we rode together..." Sam sighs and adds, "we split the crappiness, we know."