Chapter 200 - Vampire 101

While in the midst of our research and binge drinking, Jody calls us with a possible situation on her hands; she doesn't give us anymore information or what it's about afraid to be overheard by anyone. It's been a while since any of us has been back to Sioux Falls and guilt sets over me because Jody had done so much for Dean and me, especially when it came to helping us raise Cassie when she was a year old and longer than that still. I'd kept in touch with her here and there, but not much, she's got her sheriff duties and we have our hunter duties especially with trying to put Abaddon in the ground.

"So, I wonder what's happening in Jody's neck of the woods," I murmur as Dean drives, "it's been a while since we paid her a visit anyway."

"Yeah, I agree," Sam nods.

"Hey Mel?" Dean asks out of the blue and I look at him, "yeah?"

"What did uh Cass have to say?"

"When?" I ask, "it's been a while since we talked or seen him."

"That night after we traded him for Gadreel."

I sigh, "oh that," Dean eyes me through the mirror, "he was just worried about you, about the mark and to look after the two stubborn headed Winchesters."

"Right cause you're not so stubborn yourself," Sam jokes.

"Yeah, that may be but I'm not a Winchester by blood anyway."

The two of them chuckle then we sit in silence for a long while again as we travel down the barren highway to Jody's place. We end up meeting a little ways out of town, it's begun to rain so she was waiting in her cruiser for us, I'm the first out of the car and rush out wrapping both arms around her in a ferocious hug.

"Hey girl," Jody murmurs, "it's been a while."

"I know, I'm sorry, Jod."

Doors slamming behind us making me jump but Jody doesn't release me instead she says to the guys, "you boys are a sight."

"Jody," Sam greets, "how's the shoulder?"

I pull back to look at her, she's not in a sling anymore but I can tell it still bothers her.

"Eh, only aches when it rains," she chuckles, "how you boys been?"

"Peachy," Dean responds as Sam says at the same time, "touch and go."

Jody looks at me to which I roll my eyes, things have been a little tight around the bunker ever since we got back from getting Cass.

"I know the feeling," she mutters.

"So Jody," I say, "what do you got for us that was urgent?"

She gestures with her chin to the trunk of her cruiser; we follow her to the back where she then pops the trunk; I cover my mouth with one hand as I see a dead guy with his head wrapped in a large piece of plastic. Sam reaches down, pulls the plastic partially off the head, presses the gums once as he pries the mouth open then fangs slide out of sockets in the gums.

"Yeah, that's a vamp alright," Sam announces standing up straight.

"Oh gee Sammy," Dean says in a light tone, "I don't think Jody needs us for this one."

"Oh they grow up fast," Sam adds to the joke making Dean chuckle, "don't they?"

She smacks the both of them on the shoulder looking annoyed, but the joke doesn't seem that bad to her when she says, "yeah, yeah, joke all you want. There's more where this came from."