Chapter 173 - Calling all Nerds

We take the trip back to the bunker quietly, get Cass a spare room for himself while Dean and I sit at the 'war table,' a beer for each of us; I'm sitting on the table itself in front of Dean who's got his hands on my thighs.

"So, you uh, never told me how you found Cass," I press and he looks up at me through his lashes, "Sam found an address book in the dead guys' pocket, we pretty much took a shot."

"I didn't think either of you went through the dead guy's pockets," I mutter, "just the evidence bag the cop gave you."

Sam comes in then a beer and plate of food in hand, he eyes us but doesn't address the awkward situation.

"We don't always see what each of us do," he says, "that don't mean we don't do it, right?"

"That doesn't make sense Dean," Sam states taking a seat, "but anyway, how's Cass?"

As if right on cue Cass appears from another door looking cleaner with fresh clothes.

"I am really enjoying this place," he says with a grin, "plentiful food. Good water pressure. Things I never considered before, there really is a lot to being human, isn't there?"

"It ain't all strippers and burritos my friend," Dean says and I smack his shoulder but Cass surprises me by agreeing, "yeah, I understand what you're saying."

"You do?" I ask looking over at him, "yes, there's more to humanity than survival. You...look for purpose and you must not be defeated by anger or despair or hedonism for that matter."

"Where does hedonism come into it?" Dean asks.

"Well, my time with April was very educational."

"Yeah," Sam grunts, "I mean, I would think that getting killed is something."

"And having sex."

He stated it so flatly, so nonchalantly that I gasped aloud then started coughing quite loudly with the admittance, Dean and I stare at each other dumbstruck then back at our angel friend.

"You uh had sex with that bitch?" I ask and he nods again as Sam blurts, "yeah that would be where the hedonism comes in."

Sam and Dean stare at each other, then the oldest Winchester asks if the angel had any protection.

"I had my angel blade."

I facepalm while Dean struggles to get out words, Sam looks a bit appalled at the admission and mistake; thankfully that stupid angel is dead.

"In any event," Cass sighs, "I – I do see how difficult life can be and how well you three have led it. And I think you'll be great teachers."

"Uh thanks Cass," I mutter and Dean responds the same.

"Are there anymore burritos?"

Dean raises a hand towards the doorway that leads into the kitchen, we watch him go and once he's out of sight I sigh loudly wondering if being human is really affecting Cass in a good way.

"Our little Cass," Dean starts in a baby voice, "gave it up to a Reaper that is -"

I don't remember falling asleep on Dean or anything but the next thing I know Sam's carrying me back to mine and Dean's room bridal style; he seems irritated when I glance a peek at his face, but I don't close my eyes fast enough because he faintly smiles at me as his eyes connect with mine.

"Did I faint or something?" I ask softly.

"I don't know Mel, all of a sudden you slouched like you'd passed out and Dean asked me to put you to bed."