Chapter Eighty - Three - Trying to be a Hero

When we get there, I hang back behind Dean a little as he knocks on the vic's sister's door; I don't want to overwhelm her right away she's more than likely not in her right state of mind. We wait about three minutes or so when she opens the door only slightly looking both of us up and down, "are you...Penny Dessetine's sister?"

"Mm-hmm," she nods slightly.

"If it's alright with you we'd like to ask a few questions."

She looks down, "look the cops already came by, I'm tired...so if you don't mind," she starts to close the door when I step forward, "I understand I really do; I know how hard this must be. We'd just like to figure out what happened; we'll make this quick I promise."

"Okay fine," she opens the door wider, "come in; but just you please."

Dean doesn't argue just goes back to the car to wait; she leads me into a medium sized living room then plops down tiredly on an overstuffed armchair while gesturing to the couch across from her, I sit but only on the edge of the cushion because I want to be true to my word about being quick if I get comfortable in her home, she'll think I lied about it.

"What was your sister like?" I ask softly.

"Penny was very shy," she says, "not at all what you'd call adventurous." I raise an eyebrow, "but she went flying in a two-seater plane, through a lightning storm of all things." She sighs, "she was terrified of that thing, she just did it for Stan."

"Stan?"

"They were just starting to get serious," she explains, "she didn't want to seem, you know not interested," I nod, "I just wish I'd told her to stay home, we don't even have a body to bury."

Fresh tears come from her eyes and she wipes them away, I reach into the pocket of my khaki's to hand her a handkerchief which she takes without argument; blows her nose a little then crumples the thing in her hand.

"I just want to thank you for your time, I promised to be quick," we both rise to our feet, "just if you remember anything or if you don't feel comfortable give us a call." I hand her one of my cards with my cell and Dean's number on it. She nods, "thank you, you know you're the nicest out of all the people who have talked to me about this mess. It's like you know exactly how I feel."

"Believe me," I give her a sympathetic smile, "I've lost a lot of people who I cared for deeply; I'm just trying to protect others so they don't have to feel the way I did and still do." She smiles then, "thank you again."

She escorts me to the door, when she takes me by surprise by hugging me fiercely in the open doorway, I feel Dean's eyes on me when she tucks a small piece of paper in my hand, somehow I know what it is but don't glance down until I'm in the car.

"Did she seriously give you her number?" Dean grumbles.

"Yeah, jealous?" I smile at him, "not a chance," he grins back.

Back at the motel Dean parks his car and holds my hand as we head inside, Sam is wearing his usual jeans and green colored flannel buttoned up almost the whole way up to his neck.

Hey," Sam greets us without looking up from the computer, "what do you got?" Dean asks him.

"Uh...well it looks like those other two missing girls both baked cookies for the Lord." Dean's untying his tie enough to slip off, "what is that? Code?"

"No," Sam shakes his head, "church choir, bake sales, promise-ring clubs...the works. They were good girls, but Penny wasn't even a Christian."