Chapter Thirty - Six - Welcome to the Family

I didn't want to go home, nor did I want to continue on with the guys, I just needed a break especially with the Braxton Hicks making an appearance; I don't tell Dean about it because I didn't want to worry him much so I just had them set me up in a motel room in town just in case I need dad or even Jody for help. The next few weeks I spend going to baby classes, buying clothes, toys and Jody surprises me with a very small baby shower with some of the newer moms in town. A lot of the things I was given I take back to dad's and set them up in my room, there's a swing with a dome of plastic fish that swim when it's turned on, a little bouncer and so many clothes and diapers.

My favorite clothes are the little flannel pieces which make me smile, she's a Winchester after all and if she doesn't have flannel well then that's a problem. Another got me a large body pillow that my baby bump can rest on so I can sleep comfortable on my side without having any pain; so many of the women had advice to give on birth and after care and things like that I became so overwhelmed that I had to excuse myself for fresh air. Now I sit in my room at dad's house going through all the baby things, putting the clothes away, trying to set the crib up which makes me curse so I give up on it for now. I'd heard from Dean earlier in the week that they were chased by Demons and met up with a small town that's been fighting them every week led by a so called prophet but I haven't heard anything since then which worries me I wonder if Castiel knows something then again he wasn't too thrilled after what his fellow angel, Joshua, had said about God.

"Melanie, are you still up there?" Dad shouts from the stairs.

"Yeah," I answer.

"Why don't you take a break," he suggests, "remember what Jody said about taking it easy."

Sighing I use the bed as support to help me to my feet, it's getting harder and harder to move around with this belly, dad's at the bottom of the steps when I get there and he's frowning at me as I take one step at a time to get to the bottom.

"That boy should really be here," dad mutters, "helping you with the baby stuff since I can't."

"They've got stuff going on," I say, "he'll be around in no time, I'm sure of it."

Just as the words leave my mouth Cass appears with Dean and Sam, which turns out, according to the angel, that Dean was going to do something drastic and going to send me his things without saying goodbye; when he comes around, I slap him so hard across the face that even the Angel flinches at the sound.

"How could you do this to me!" I shout, "after everything, the promises to change and being here for your daughter, what the hell is wrong with you!"

"Reality happened," he murmurs, "nuclear's the only option we have left, Michael can ice the devil, save a boatload of people."

"But not all of them," dad argues from behind me, "we gotta think of something else."

"And what you forget, Dean," I hiss, "is that once you say the big 'Yes' then I'm screwed too, I won't have any Free Will of my own and in case you haven't noticed I'm still pregnant!"

I march into the kitchen; someone tries to follow but dad grunts to stop whoever it was except when I lean against the kitchen counter Cass is there an odd expression on his face.

"I shouldn't have given up so easily," he admits, "on finding God."

"I can understand why you did," I mutter, "but Dean...I don't know...I don't know what's changed."

"He killed the Whore of Babylon, and only a true Warrior of God could do that, so when she died at his hand, I knew something was wrong,"

I look at the Angel, he seems so sincere in his words and yet I can see that he's losing his own faith.