I Don't Care | Sam Winchester

Creds to SquishyMishy02 for the idea and the big, depressing speech.

Summary: Sam has a nightmare about you dying. You tell him you'll never leave, but Sam thinks that's a problem.

QOTP: Sam or Dean?

Word Count: 730

You're trying to fall asleep, listening to Sam's breathing. But you just can't seem to get comfortable.

Suddenly, Sam starts moving agitatedly. You hear him... whimpering?

"Sam?" you ask, shaking his shoulder. "Sam? Sam, baby, wake up."

His eyes open and it takes him a second to get his bearings. When he does, he immediately wraps his arms around you. "You-You were dying. There was nothing I could do."

You feel his tears on your shoulder and attempt to calm him down, rocking back and forth and running your fingers through his hair.

"It's alright. I'm right here. I love you, alright? I'm not going anywhere."

"No."

You're confused by Sam's response. He lets go of you and shakes his head. "No, you have to leave. You have to."

"Sam, what-"

"Everyone that I have ever loved has died. Everyone. I can't let that happen to you. You have to go. I-I've been selfish, letting you stay this long. I'm putting you in danger, Y/N. You have to leave."

"Sam-"

"I am not going to let you die because of me, okay? I won't. I can't let you get hurt and the best way to protect you is letting you go."

You sit for a moment, watching his pleading eyes. The fear in his face.

"Sam... I know what's happened in your past. And you know what? I don't care. Sam, I don't care because I love you. I love you and I want to be with you because every moment we're together, it's surreal . . . And every moment we're apart it's like a piece of me is missing. I need you, Sam -"

Your voice breaks on the word 'need'.

"- and I know what could happen. I know, and I understand it all, and-and . . . Sam, I don't care about the danger. I don't care about what could happen to me because even if something does happen... It won't matter. It won't matter because we were together through it all, and it's all something to cherish - every second of it.

"No matter what happens, Sam, I will never regret this. I will never regret us or everything that's happened thus far - everything that will happen. Because I love you, okay? I really, truly do."

He hugs you immediately, holding you to his chest. "Y/N, I... I swear, I will keep you safe, okay? Nothing is going to happen to you. You're going to live a long life and... and if you want, you could spend it with me, okay? I'm going to keep you safe, I promise."

////

"Y/N!" It's a bloodcurdling scream, one you hear from across the field. You know it's Sam. You could never forget his voice.

You try to call out to him, but your voice is too weak. It doesn't matter, though, because he's there in seconds, panting.

"Y/N."

"Sam," you say, a small smile on your face and a slight twinkle in your eye.

He grabs your hand and cups your cheek with his other. "Hey, hey. Look at me. Look at me, love. Look at me." Your vision is going out of focus, but you try to keep your eyes on Sam.

"Yeah?" you ask quietly.

He starts getting choked up. "You're gonna be okay, alright? You're gonna be okay. We'll just get you to a hospital-"

"Sam, you know there's nothing you can do."

There's too much blood. The wound's too deep. You'll never make it.

"It's okay, Sam," you say.

Sam shakes his head, tears falling down his face. "It's not... It's not. Because I promised you."

"It's okay. I told you it wouldn't matter, didn't I? I had you. The whole way through, I had you. And I will cherish every memory-"

"No, no. Don't you dare. Don't you dare."

"Sam... I'm-I'm afraid. And I need you to stay with me, okay?"

You begin crying and Sam immediately nods, squeezing your hand and kissing your forehead. "It's alright. I'm right here. I love you, alright? I'm not going anywhere."

And he stays with you until the light leaves your eyes and your final breath escapes your lips.