Overheard Conversation | Dirk Gently

SEASON TWO OH MY GOSH

There's no spoilers in this.

Summary: You overhear Dirk talking about you with Todd.

QOTP: Which color jacket of Dirk's do you prefer?

Word Count: 583

Last night, you went on a date with Dirk Gently.

A fake one. To catch a suspect in a new case you've been given. The date was your cover-up, and you spent most of it spying on the suspect.

Dirk spent most of it trying to focus.

See, you've known each other since you were little and only recently reconnected when you moved to the area. Dirk asked you to start helping him with his cases, and you agreed.

Now, you have a key to Todd's apartment, know the Rowdy 3 quite well, and have worked on who-knows-how-many cases.

And your school-girl crush on Dirk is back, so... that's good. Not really. But hey, what can you do?

You're heading over to Todd's to discuss the case, and when you get there, you go to unlock the door.

Todd and Dirk are talking when you open the door a bit, and you immediately stop when you hear what they're talking about.

"You like her," Todd says. You can hear the smirk in his voice.

Dirk sighs. "No, Todd. I love her."

"Whoa-"

"I'm sure of it! I-I mean, just sitting there across from her, I could hardly focus. It physically hurt to not... to not kiss her right then and there! I don't know why, but it's true!"

"You're in love with her."

"Well that much is evident! But why?"

"I don't know. She's pretty?"

"That's an understatement."

"Witty?"

"Yes."

Todd struggles for another adjective. "Nice?"

"Really, Todd, come on."

"I don't know!" Todd shouts.

They go silent for a few moments before Dirk speaks again. "She's just so... beautiful and-and wonderful and kind and funny. But that's not it! There's so much more, I just can't figure it out! I mean, this means something, doesn't it?"

"That you're a human being, which I was having a hard time believing."

"But what else?!"

"How should I know? You love her, that's all that matters. Go tell her."

"That's idiotic."

"No, it's not! Just tell her!"

"But she won't feel the same way!"

"If you don't, I will."

It goes silent. "You wouldn't dare," Dirk says suspiciously.

Todd is completely serious. "Oh, I would."

It's silent again; you assume they're having some sort of stare-down like the idiots they are. Then, Todd says, "I'm gonna call her."

"Todd!"

"I'm doing it. Right now."

"Todd, no!"

"Just finding her contact..."

And then Dirk tackles Todd. You fight the urge to laugh as Todd holds onto his phone and Dirk chases him around the room.

"I'm about to do it!" Todd shouts.

Dirk desperately reaches for the phone. "No!"

The both fall onto the couch, Dirk on top of Todd. Todd holds the phone out as far as he can and presses 'call'.

Your phone starts ringing.

They both run to the door and open it, Dirk trying to cover Todd's mouth while Todd shouts, "He likes you! He likes you! He likes you!" over and over.

You laugh. "I know. I heard the whole thing."

Dirk's face falls and Todd starts smiling. You look over at Dirk. "Let's set this aside until the case is solved."

You push past them into the apartment, then turn back to Dirk. "And, for the record, I love you, too."