Suspiciously Suspicious | Dirk Gently

I got this idea from a small Loki imagine by @LonelyWeasley in their gif imagines book, so go check that out!

Also, trigger warning! There's a mention of abuse, but it's not very explicit.

Summary: You see a suspicious looking man in the park and decide to check it out.

QOTP: Have you read the book?

Word Count: 1161

You're reading a book in the park. The sun is starting to set, so you decide that now would be a good time to head home.

You close your book, stand, and start to walk home, but then you spot a man in a ridiculous yellow jacket holding a wrench and a kitten. He looks around to see if anyone is watching him and you quickly hide behind a tree.

After a few seconds, you peak around. He's started walking again. You stand there for a moment, trying to decide if it's a good idea to follow him or not. Your curiosity gets the best of you.

You follow him at a distance, trying to be as quiet as possible. You pass the playground, the pool, and then, he turns into the small forest on the edge of the park.

After a minute or so, he suddenly stops and turns around. You hide behind a tree, trying your hardest to be completely silent.

"Stalking is rude, you know," he says.

You come out from behind the tree and spot his loud jacket in the dark. "I wasn't stalking you."

"Yes, you were."

"No, I wasn't. I was curious."

He takes a second to reply. "Why?"

"Because you were being suspiciously suspicious," you reply casually.

You hear him chuckle, then he walks closer to you, smiling. "Hello," he says.

You smile back, "Hello."

The cat meows and starts pawing at the man's jacket. He doesn't seem to notice and/or care. You cross your arms. "You know, if you don't want anyone to see you being suspicious, maybe wearing a yellow jacket isn't the best idea."

He looks down at himself, as if just realizing that he was wearing said jacket. He looks back up at you. "Solid advice; I'll make sure to remember that next time."

You both study each other for a few moments until you decide to speak... at the same time.

"What are you doing?"

"Who are you?"

He squints at you and repeats himself. "Who are you?"

"Who are you?" you shoot back.

He raises an eyebrow. "Dirk. Dirk Gently, holistic detective."

"Y/N. Y/N Y/L/N, curious bystander to your 'holistic detective-ing'," you say, mimicking his over-the-top introduction.

He studies you for a few seconds more. "I'm trying to decide if you're a clue, a significant other, or an assistant. Then again, I already have an assistant."

"Good, because I'm not assisting you in anything," you reply.

He shrugs. "Fair enough."

"What are doing out here with a wrench and a kitten?" you ask.

He takes a deep breath. "That - right. Well, I'm investigating the disappearance of Ashely Casper - I'm sure you've heard of it, it's all over the news. Her nephew, Henry Casper, hired me because the police are getting no where.