Preference: Modern Times | Merlin

Summary: The Once And Future King has finally returned - and Merlin has his hands full...

QOTP: What would happen in season five if you wrote it?

Word Count: 1290

Arthur -
"What is this place?" you hear an amazed voice ask. You're currently grocery shopping, and the voice came from a grown man who just walked in with his friend.

His friend sighs and grabs a cart, then starts to lead him to an aisle that's near you. "This is a grocery store."

"A grocery store," the amazed one says, seemingly testing out the words. "Is this where you get food from?"

They disappear behind a shelf, so you can't see them anymore, but you hear the other guy reply, "Yes."

There's a gasp, then a pause. "Is this where Goldfish come from?"

"Yes, Arthur, this is where Goldfish come from," the other guy answers, exasperated. There's another pause.

"This is my favorite place," Arthur says quietly.

You chuckle, though you're confused; has Arthur been living under a rock his entire life? Maybe he's on anesthesia or something...

As you continue your shopping, Arthur and his friend go quiet for a few minutes. Then, Arthur declares, "I don't see any Goldfish."

"They're on a different shelf," his friend replies, sounding a little distracted.

"I'll go get them."

"Arthur-"

"I'll be fine."

His friend seems to concede because he doesn't say anything else, and you decide to make your way over to the Goldfish; you're mildly concerned for Arthur, seeing as it seems like he has no idea what's going on. With anything.

You get there first, then, finally, he finds the aisle. You pretend to be shopping, but look over at him when he arrives. He smiles politely at you and starts hunting for the Goldfish.

Suddenly, under his breath, he says, "There's different kinds?" You chuckle again, and he hears you. He looks up sheepishly. "Sorry."

"You're fine," you reply. "Need any help?"

He starts right into his questions. "Yes. Is extra cheddar better than regular? Or is pizza better than both? And what about the pretzel kind? What does that taste like? And do the rainbow ones taste like rainbows? And-"

"Arthur!" It's his friend, hurrying over having heard him talking to another human being.

"What?" Arthur asks, oblivious.

"Leave the poor woman alone." His friend looks over at you. "I'm so sorry."

"No, he's fine," you reply. He's cute, too.

"See?" Arthur says to his friend. He turns back to you, waiting for answers to his Goldfish questions.

"I'd go for the rainbow ones," you say. "They taste like the regular kind, but they're much more fun."

Arthur smiles. "Thank you." He takes a package of rainbow Goldfish off the shelf and tosses it into his friend's cart.

"You're welcome," you reply.

His friend starts to say something, but Arthur turns back to you and holds out his hand. "I'm Arthur."

"I'm Y/N," you reply, shaking his hand.