Preference: I Love You | Criminal Minds

Introducing Luke Alvez! The dreamy, beautiful new agent.

Summary: An 'I love you' moment between you and Spencer Reid, Luke Alvez, and Derek Morgan.

QOTP: How do you feel about Luke Alvez?

Word Count: 828

Derek -
You're having a slow day at the BAU; no cases, just paperwork. And you are extremely bored. You already finished your paperwork, and you've been doodling, walking around, and quizzing Spencer on things. You can't take it anymore.

You glance over at Derek, your boyfriend, and see him heavily concentrated on his work. The little face he makes as he does so is adorable.

So, you decide to bother him.

You pull out a piece of paper and try to think of something to write on it. A few things that cross your mind:

awesome. wow.

im suuuuuuuuper bored

didgeridoo

im suuuuuuuuper board

oi m8

didgerdon't test me

You finally decide on: i love you

Sometimes you just want to be that cute couple that everybody loves. Sometimes you want to smack Derek in the face. Sometimes you want to be romantic. And sometimes you just want to push him out of the jet.

But hey.

You ball up the paper and carefully aim it to hit Derek in the head.

Bullseye.

It bounces onto the floor and you quickly pretend like you didn't just throw that. Derek reaches over, picks it up, and smiles at you.

A few seconds later, you're hit with a paper ball. When you unravel it, it says:

i have a boyfriend

I'M KIDDING.

It says:

i love you, too, dork

You look up from the paper and find Reid teasing him for once.

Luke -
When he first started, you tended to avoid him; he replaced Derek. And, yeah, nobody can really replace him, but still. He took his desk, and that didn't sit well with you.

He tried to talk to you once, and that attempt didn't go so well.

"Hi," he said, holding out his hand. "I'm Luke."

"Y/N," you said, fighting to keep a grimace off your face. It's not that you wanted him to know you didn't like him, but...

He got the message, and didn't try to talk to you again until Emily paired you up to go check out a crime scene.

"Look," he said in the car, "I know you don't like me. That's fine. I just wanna know why."

"I don't know," you admit after a pause. "It's not you. You haven't done anything wrong, I guess, it's just... Morgan."

"Morgan?"

"You kinda took his job. I mean, he left to raise his son, which is a totally respectable decision, but... I miss him. We all do. And you coming in just unsettled us a bit. For most of us, he's been here since we started. He was like my mentor when I first came here, you know?"

"So it's not me?" he asks.

You chuckle, "No, it's not you. I just... miss Morgan, I guess."

"Well, speaking of mentors," he continues, "I kinda need one. I know I've been in the FBI for a while, but I've never done this sort of stuff before."

"And you want me to be your mentor?"

"Yeah."

"... Alright."

After that, you started talking a lot more, hanging out after work, and this slowly blossomed into a relationship. And neither of you have said 'I love you' yet.

Of course, now is the appropriate time in the relationship to say so, and you're debating whether or not to say it first.

Then, one day, you finish a case. And, in this case, nobody died. Everybody lived. And you were ecstatic - completely overjoyed. Immediately, you turned to Luke and kissed him, and as soon as you pulled away, you said, "I love you."

You realized immediately after and started to say something to try to fix it, but he just smiled and said, "I love you, too."

Spencer -
It's 4 am and you're flying home to Virginia. The whole team is exhausted, including you and Spencer.

You stumble onto the plane, almost falling a couple times (luckily, Spencer has enough sense to steady you). Immediately, you plop down on the couch. Without thinking, Spencer pushes you off and lays down in your place.

You hear Derek, Prentiss, and Rossi chuckle. JJ is too delirious to care and steps over you. Hotch isn't paying attention.

"Hey, Spencnerd!" you shout groggily. "You suck! Why did you do that? That was mean..." You yawn loudly and climb back up on the couch, pushing him as far back into the cushions as you can.

He groans in annoyance, but wraps an arm around you and tangles his legs with yours. Derek snaps a pic to show Garcia (you're her OTP), and everyone else just sort of smiles.

"Yo, Spence-Bence," you say. He hums in response. You close your eyes. "You're cute."

"Uh-huh."

"But also annoying."

"Thanks."

"I love you."

"I love you, too, lil' love."