Sweetheart | Jack Kelly

Requested by simply_jenna2003

Summary: You're Wiesel's daughter, but you support the newsies. You also have a crush on a certain someone...

QOTP: Who's your favorite newsie?

Word Count: 2940

"Thanks, sweetheart," he says, his smile almost a smirk as he puts the papers he just bought from you in his bag.

You try not to blush at the name, seeing as he's called you it a hundred times now - 'he' being Jack Kelly, a long-time newsie who likes to harmlessly flirt with you on occasion.

"I should punch that boy one of these days," you father mutters, giving papers to the next newsie in line - your father being Wiesel, who the newsies like to call "Weasel."

"Oh, he's not hurting anybody," you reply. "Just leave him alone."

"This nonsense has gone on long enough, you know," your father says. "He's penniless, Y/N. There's no future with him."

"I never said anything about that," you argue indignantly, hiding your blush. "I meant exactly what I said: He's not hurting anybody - certainly not me - and you might as well just leave him alone."

Your father sighs. "Well, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Penniless!"

////

You heard the word "strike" being tossed around one day, so it doesn't surprise you when it actually happens.

The newsies are surprised, however, when you show up to a strike meeting.

"We're not negotiating, sweetheart," Jack says. "We're continuing the strike, and that's final."

"I know," you reply simply, kind of enjoying the look of confusion on his face.

"Then, why are you here?" he asks, genuinely perplexed.

Before you can answer, Spot very matter-of-factly says, "She's a spy."

This, of course, makes all of the newsies begin to talk all at once, some even shouting to throw you out.

"I'm not-!" you start, but the volume in the room reaches a crescendo. "I'M NOT A SPY!" All of the newsies stop talking, surprised. You continue at a lower volume. "I'm not a spy. I'm here to help you in any way that I can. I'm on your side."

Then, the talking starts up again. Jack says, "Hold on! Everybody just calm down a second!" He turns to you. "Why would you want to help us?"

"Because you deserve it? And my father also works for Pulitzer, so that could be an advantage?" you reply, confused as to why he'd need such obvious answers.

"But you said it yourself - your dad works for Pulitzer."

"So?"

"So, when we strike, your dad's out of work. And if we get what we want, he'll probably end up getting paid less."

"Exactly," you reply. "If I help you, you'll win the strike and it'll be over a lot quicker. And we can handle the drop in Dad's pay. It won't make much difference."

"But you really want us to win?" Jack just can't seem to wrap his mind around this.

You're exasperated. "Yes. Pulitzer treats you like dirt, thinking he can do whatever he wants to you and you're helpless to stop him. But he's more dependent on you than you are on him. Without you, there's basically no company. His paper sales would drop dramatically, never mind the newspaper stalls. Plus, I've always liked David vs. Goliath stories."