Preference: Prompt 7 | Anne With An E

Prompt #7
Requested by @Karina_rox

Gilbert and Jerry's could literally be in the same story okay just read it you'll see what I mean

Summary: He tells you that the whole "just friends" thing isn't exactly working for him.

QOTP: Talk or sit silently and listen to our thoughts?

Word Count: 1727

Billy -
Billy Andrews was a jerk. Everyone knew that — even Josie Pye.

You, however, were decidedly not. You were nothing but nice to everybody, and you gently stuck up for Anne Shirley when others picked on her.

And Billy liked you. He thought you were pretty. He loved your eyes, especially when they sparkled. And your smile made him blush, even if it wasn't directed at him. Sometimes it was, though; you were kind to him, even if you weren't friends. One day, he decided to talk to you.

He flirted with you, right out the gate, and you caught on immediately. "I'm gonna stop you right there, Billy."

"What? Why?" he asked, genuinely confused.

"You don't treat people very well," you said, understating it a little, "and I'm perfectly happy to treat you with kindness, but I don't wish to be flirted with or courted by someone who disrespects others as much as you do."

He thought for a moment. "What if I changed?"

You raised a brow. "You'd do that just for a girl?"

He shrugged sheepishly. "Well, you're not just any girl."

You blushed, but said, "Well, if you're willing to change... I'm willing to be friends. Then, when I really know you've changed, we'll talk."

He smiled. "I'm good with that."

It's been a few months, and, while he's had some slip-ups, he's been much nicer to everyone — even Anne. And, if he's honest with himself, he'd rather be this way. Being nice is rewarding. It makes him feel good.

Almost as good as seeing the smile on your face when he does something particularly kind.

One day, after school, he's walking you home again. You're talking about school, laughing occasionally when one of you says something funny.

He looks over at you as you laugh, looking at your genuine smile and your eyes sparkling in the sunlight. Your laugh is like music — the most beautiful song he's ever heard. He stops, looking down at the ground and chewing his lip.

Your brows furrow with concern as you stop, too. "What's wrong?"

He sighs and looks up at you. "Y/N... This whole 'just friends' thing isn't exactly working for me."

You laugh. "Lately, it hasn't been working for me, either."

His eyes widen. "Really?"

"Really."

"So... then you wouldn't mind if I... held your hand for the rest of the walk?" he asks.

You grab his hand. "Only if we take the longest route."

Gilbert -
You've been friends with Gilbert for as long as you can remember. Your mothers were good friends, so you were together a lot as children.

Now, some years later, you're also friends with Anne Shirley. They have a little rivalry going on, which all started when he pulled her hair, called her carrots, and she hit him with her slate. You thought it was funny, especially after he took the blame and apologized.