Can we keep him?

Baby Dick and Teen Damian

Lost children weren't a foreign concept to Robin. He spent a good chunk of time returning kids home or finding their parents in the event of fires. There were a few babies there and then but they were a rare occurrence and it was even rarer to hear them in apartment blocks that had been long since cleared out. He'd only been in the area because a local had asked him to check on the baby, unable to go in themselves due to the locked gates. He'd agreed since it'd been a slow night and went over there. The building itself was only abandoned that Monday so it hadn't had time to become too weathered. He'd heard that they would soon be replaced with something shinier that would most likely be too expensive for any normal person to live in. That was Gotham for you. As he got closer to the building, he could hear the cries in a cracking voice. Robin never really felt affected by his work. He'd seen things, heard things, discovered things that could top the sound of a baby crying in an abandoned building yet this time on this occasion, he felt uncomfortable. Maybe because the crying was loud enough for at least a handful of people to hear yet only one of them had come up to him to mention it. They could've called the police but no they waited until they saw him. Surprisingly with his superiority complex, he didn't take pride in that knowledge. He hopped the gate and walked up to the building, cringing as he got closer to the baby crying. He wondered what the story was behind the baby being there. Perhaps a couple had left them there, hoping someone else would find them once they moved out. Maybe some cruel older brother or sister had made them go missing to regain the attention of their parents. Babies don't appear out of thin air. Someone had left them there. Abandoned. He knew that feeling. To be so young, at the point where parents were supposed to be excited at the beginning of the new chapter and to be abandoned all the same like they were a piece of old furniture. At least his mother had been excited at his arrival although it wasn't excited for the right purpose. He tested the door to find it locked but with his master key that was a hell of a kick, the door was soon opened. 

Inside, Robin could hear the crying coming from closer than he expected but he couldn't immediately see the source. He walked further into the reception before concluding the noise wasn't coming from this room. He looked around and found a door to the stairwell and when he went through, he was certain the baby was near him. He looked underneath the stairs and found a small wicker basket with a baby inside, wrapped up in a blanket. The baby was crying their heart out yet until now, all their cries had fallen on deaf ears. Robin wondered how long they'd been here. Too long for any child to be left alone. He knelt down and upon noticing his presence the baby stopped crying and let out a gurgle. Their little hands reached up and made grabby motions. Robin offered his finger and marvelled at how the tiny fingers wrapped around his. He noticed an envelope poking out of the side of the basket which he pulled out, hoping for some answers. He ripped open the envelope and pulled out a handwritten letter.

Dear whoever this may concern,

The baby is called Dick Grayson and he's 9 months old at the time of writing this. His parents died in an accident and we don't have the funds to bring him with us. We don't have the papers needed for him to enter the system so please take him in or give him to someone who can. We left him with some things. 

Dick Grayson? He'd heard that name before. The Flying Graysons. Oh. This baby was the baby of the dead acrobats. No papers either. He didn't have a very good start in life that was for sure. The circus had left a few days ago when everyone had been moving out of the place and whichever of them had done the deed probably thought someone would've picked him up right away. Obviously, that wasn't the case and now baby Grayson was most likely malnourished and severely dehydrated. He noticed the baby was making grabby hands again and with a sigh, he picked him up out of the basket. Dick gave a happy noise and snuggled up to him. Robin knew he was far too thin for a baby his age. A doctor's visit was needed but he wouldn't be able to carry the baby all the way to Leslie's. He needed to call this in. "Grayson, please refrain from dreuling on my suit," he stated as he pressed his finger against his comm unit. There was a small beep before he was patched through to his mentor.