Wide asleep

This song is such a fuckin vibeeee

Dick couldn't remember how many coffees he'd had at this point. He knew it was quite a few judging by how hard his heart was thumping against his chest. It was probably too many for any other teenager but he wasn't any other teenager. He was in the middle of the summer and the summer meant he was working pretty much every night. Coffee and adrenaline were the only things keeping him upright for the most part. He was sneaking coffee to his room at night but he suspected that Alfred was catching on since he'd slipped up a few times and left the cups on his nightstand. What could he say? He was a busy kid and he needed his go-go juice before someone thought he couldn't do the job anymore. Bruce could do it so why couldn't he? 

Despite his reliance on coffee and three hours worth of sleep he got somewhere about three days ago, Dick wasn't stupid. He knew that he was going to crash at some point. He was well aware that it would probably happen during training. Unfortunately, his smarts weren't outweighed by his stubbornness. Although he knew full well that going to the training session with the team would end up with him either looking like a total weakling or him being forced home, he still went. Sure his eyes were drooping and he felt dead on his feet but he could grin and bear a training session. At least, he thought he could. He was almost stupid to think that by some miracle he'd be fine. And he was fine. Until they called him up to spar. From the moment he stepped into the ring, there was an alert. The once blue floor now flashed red. "Uh, what's that mean?" Artemis asked. 

"It means the computer deemed Robin unfit to train," Black Canary responded. She narrowed her eyes at the teen and scanned him up and down with her critical stare. Robin shifted under her gaze as his sleep-deprived mind worked overtime to think up an excuse. "C'mon Canary, you're gonna trust a computer over me? I'm fine. It's probably some faulty wiring," he protested, his usually bright smile now strained. He could see the black dots. This wouldn't end well. Maybe if he just ignored them, they'd go away. Stupid dots. Where do they even come from anyway? Why do they always invade his vision at the worst times? They suck. Maybe they were created just to be a dick to him. He wouldn't be surprised. With his bad luck, he guessed it would be just for him. Like some sort of bad omen. Other people saw them though, right? He should ask sometime. 

"Robin!" The shout for him made him jump. Great job Grayson, you never jump. 

"Sorry, what were you saying?" he asked, trying to play it off. "Daydreaming."

"I asked if you're okay my friend," Kaldur told him. It was only now that Robin noticed he'd come closer, across from the ring where he once was. God, he was running slow. Still, this could be worse. He could keep the dots at bay for now. "Yeah yeah, I'm fine. Like I said, faulty wiring."

"You're the one with faulty wiring if you think we're going to believe that," Wally stated, narrowing his eyes. Robin once again tried to play dumb. He was fine. He could stand one little training session. And then one with Batman. And then do his homework. And then go on patrol. And then write up those reports. Perhaps he bit off a little more than he could chew. This was the first time he'd actually worked every night during the summer. But if Batman thought he could do it then he could do it. He didn't need a night off. Batman didn't need a night off so he definitely didn't need one. Yeah, he was fine. Probably. Hard maybe. Light no but it was a light no. Someone was shaking him. He blinked a few times and looked to see who it was. Oh, Kaldur. Just Kaldur. That's good. "Hi," he greeted. The Atlantian gave him a concerned look. That wasn't good.