Side Effects

In celebration of Ric Grayson being dead - from what I can tell - I think we deserve some flangf (fluff and angst)

Of course, we have the Joker War and all that to still go through - if he dies in that I'm going to scream - but I think we're just gonna zip forward and move a few things around (universes can be difficult with DC I can never remember who is where and when) to display my headcanon that DC would definitely not like

The League was wary of Nightwing getting back into the business so soon after everything went down. They were unsure of the effects on his mind after having it scrambled and reassembled so quickly in such a short amount of time but they knew there had to be some. No one could go through that and be perfectly okay. Unfortunately, their suspicions that even Nightwing couldn't come out of the situation unharmed were confirmed.

Their first instance of seeing the side effects was during a meeting with a few original members and obviously Nightwing. Nightwing was leading the meeting and was giving them all the data needed on a very necessary update to a gang supplying drugs that affected all of their cities. He seemed fine at the beginning, easily rattling off names and technical terms whilst directing their attention to the right slides. He wasn't wearing his usual smile but none of them really expected him to after everything happened. It was a wonder he was back to work at all. He got about half way through before something was off. Superman immediately noticed it, sending a concerned look to Batman who gave him one that was sympathetic in a way. To whom the sympathy was directed at, he wasn't sure. He could hazard a guess though. Wonder Woman and Black Canary both became uneasy when he paused to put a hand to head. "Do you need a minute?" Flash asked. He didn't like the pained expression on the younger's face. The acrobat didn't reply for a moment as he put a hand on the table to rest his weight on. He looked like all the colour had just been drained from his face. Batman got up and grabbed him by the shoulders, guiding him to a free seat. 

"It's alright chum. We can take a break." He kept his hands on him even once he was sat down, almost as to ground him. 

"What's wrong with him?" Wonder Woman asked. The Dark Knight went to respond but immediately turned his attention back to his ward when he felt a pull on his arm.

"B?" Nightwing called.

"Yes? What do you need?"

"Dark."

"Flash, hit the lights." The speedster nodded and nearly broke the sound barrier simply running to the light switch. "Is this a big one?" Nightwing shook his head. "We'll wait it out. We'll go outside and then you get us when it's over?" The younger nodded. He didn't need to repeat himself to the other heroes, they were already half way out the door. 

Once they were all outside, Batman closed the door with a soft sigh before turning to the group of concerned yet confused heroes. "Is he alright?" Superman asked. 

"He should be. These episodes happen every so often," he answered.

"Episodes?" Wonder Woman repeated. Something about that word made her incredibly uncomfortable. How many times did this happen for it to be casually referred to as episodes? Her fellow hero nodded but he knew she wanted more than that. 

"There have been...side effects to his mind being altered. I assume had he remained under the mind crystal we wouldn't have these issues," he answered. "Batgirl, myself and other heroes close to him have been logging these problems. Migraines every now and then are one of them."

"And the others?" Black Canary inquired, immediately regretting it once she did. She didn't know if she really wanted to hear this. She remembered the days where Nightwing was Robin and seemed indestructible. Nothing would phase him and he could survive anything. At least, it seemed like that. 

"His night terrors are worse, they last much longer than they had before. M'gann is hesitant to set up a mind link with him but I imagine he'll be just as reluctant to allow her," he paused before he spoke again. They'd never seen him look so...human? He looked like the world's most worried dad. You'd think Nightwing was made of china and trapped in a cage full of bulls by the way he looked. "He has times where he can't remember things and gets upset. He's gone as far back as before he was even with me."

"Jesus Bruce. That's-that's messed up," Flash stated. 

"Those don't happen often but when they do it lasts a long time. For my liking at least. Longest one we know of is around five hours. Kept asking where Alfred was and why he was so tall."

"Are they going to keep happening?" Flash continued. He shrugged in response which was never the response you wanted on an issue like this. "Isn't it dangerous if he does that on a mission?"

"He's trained to deal with things like this. Any situation he got himself into, he's able to get himself out," he assured him. "We don't know if it'll last his lifetime but we're prepared for every instance of it happening."

"I think I speak on behalf of everyone here that we want to hear next time this happens and what to say if he does it around us," Superman stated. He got a series of nods from his fellow heroes. Batman hummed, glancing back to the doors to the meeting room then back to them. He supposed it could be a good thing to have more people know. He'd be lying if he said the thought of it happening with anyone outside of his family wasn't weighing on him. Dick got so upset sometimes. He just couldn't understand if he went as far back as ten and younger. Too panicked he'd concluded. Batman would just have to hold him, trying to remember the words that had always comforted the acrobat but he'd forgotten them long ago. They'd wait it out until Dick came back and asked why he was being hugged or why his face was wet. He was always oblivious as to how bad he could get and they were equally cautious to explain. 

"I'll send you the research I've done and anything we've found useful in helping him," he replied. "He needs all the help he can get."

After a while of standing there, Nightwing opened the door with a shaky smile. He was notably exhausted and they couldn't miss how hard he was gripping the door. "Hey, sorry about that. I'm better now," he announced. "Looks like it's just a short one but we should probably hurry this meeting up just in case."

"Are you sure you're alright to continue?" Flash inquired.

"Of course yea. Just gonna take a nap when I get home or something." They didn't argue with him, suspecting he just wanted to get back to business without fuss but they kept their newfound knowledge in mind.

Lemme know if you want a pt 2 on him forgetting where he be - I also have other headcanons on things DC probs won't do uwu