This is why we don't do galas

I'm sorry I just really love the idea of Batman (2022) having a Robin and being absolutely shit at trying to express emotions

As much as Bruce would like to say that he improved Dick's life, he had to admit that it was the other way around. Sure he fostered the kid which prevented him from staying in a cell until he eventually made his way to one of the many painfully neglectful fostering families that inhabited Gotham but in doing so Dick brought new light to his life. The bright and lively acrobat was like a small ray of sunshine he never asked for or originally wanted but now that he had it there was no letting go. Dick's babbling brought life to previously dead rooms and he saw the world through a lens that Bruce didn't think he ever had when he was that age. He somehow pushed Bruce to get out of his comfort zones in ways that weren't noticeable until there was time to reflect. He pushed him to try dodgy food from street vendors even though Alfred would have their heads if he found out, he pushed him to socialise with people to "practice friendlier interrogation" when in reality it was just getting him to talk with people his age after years of isolation and made situations that would usually send him running home that much easier by just being there. It was Dick's idea, in fact, to go to a gala that didn't have any need for Batman to gather information. If it was suggested by anyone like Alfred, he would've immediately said no, but this was Dick Grayson and you couldn't say no to his idea. Well, it was Dick's idea influenced by Alfred.

It was Alfred's idea. A promise of a cookie meant it got put through the impossible to say no to filter. 

Everyone was clearly surprised to find Bruce had actually turned up to the event. He couldn't blame them given he hadn't been to one since his last case was closed and before that he'd gone even longer. As surprised as they were to find the billionaire there, they were even more surprised that he'd brought along his ward. Although they would've preferred for the child to be a biological descendent, it was an heir to the Wayne fortune nonetheless which meant there was another chance to get their hands on that money. 

Prior to the event, Dick had received a rundown of what not to do at a gala. No running, no shouting, speak when spoken to.  

"What kind of party has rules?" the boy grumbled as his bowtie was straightened for the fifth time that night. They hadn't even left yet. "How am I supposed to start conversations if I have to wait to be spoken to?"

"Because you're a child," Bruce replied bluntly. He didn't know how he let himself be persuaded into going but if he was going then he needed the outing to uphold the Wayne image. One of good behaviour and humility. 

"Well that's not very nice," Dick argued. "Children have good ideas too. If I waited until you spoke to me then I'd hardly talk!"

"That's just how things are," he responded. 

"Why can't things change?"

"Because they don't." The younger seemed to pick up on his annoyance at having to answer the questions and went quiet with a slightly apprehensive look. He really needed to start watching his tone but he'd be lying if he said he wanted to answer another lot of questions. "Just stick by me tonight. It's only two hours." He glanced down to see a nod after failing to hear verbal confirmation that Dick understood but was met with the child staring at his feet awkwardly. "You can have a cupcake tomorrow." That was enough to make up for his previous lapse in tone as a grin greeted him.

"Okay! I promise I'll be on my best behaviour."