Historical accuracy can eat ass

Watene-Toi finally you have this fuckin mess

I'll be honest, I find writing weddings really hard - I guess I don't find them that interesting or the idea of them fun to write? - but I tried my best with this sooooo leave me alone

also we all know this isn't historically accurate BUT kings in England are allowed to officiate marriages so at least that's logically possible

To say either of the grooms were nervous for the wedding would be an understatement. Dick insisted on keeping the wedding as private as possible, fearing what the public would say and what it would do for their reputation, but Bruce was having none of it. He was a prince at the end of the day and deserved a wedding that he would get if he had chosen to marry a woman. He'd tried to keep fighting for what he wanted but Bruce was stubborn and he eventually gave in, letting the man dig his own grave. They settled on something in between. The only people allowed in to see the ceremony were those considered to be family such as some of the knights and of course the rest of the royal family. The banquet after to celebrate had to have more guests and the couple had to parade around the streets in a carriage to show their union was approved of. Dick swore the king was trying to sever ties with his allied kingdoms by allowing this to happen so publically. Not everyone would like the idea of two men sitting on the throne and he didn't doubt there'd be people who would act on it. To what extent they would go to show their distaste he both didn't know and feared.

Wally wasn't doing too well with the wedding either. There were so many etiquette lessons he had to learn for the banquet after that he had no idea about. It wasn't like the princes ever followed them but still, he wanted to at least attempt to get it right. It was his first impression on the higher-ups of Gotham after all. He doubted anyone had even noticed him before. He tried to continue with his duties as Dick's servant, a post he wasn't entirely ready to give up, but he hardly had time to between the planning, the fittings and so on. He'd been replaced with another servent who'd served the king for years but he didn't like it one bit. How could they trust a complete stranger - he wasn't a complete stranger but he may as well be for the ginger - look after his precious prince? Barbara had teased him on the subject, saying he was just jealous. He wasn't jealous. He didn't get jealous....okay maybe he did. He trusted Dick completely to be served but that servant he couldn't trust at all. 

Yet, as they laid there, the night before the wedding everything felt right. They'd be together officially. No more would Dick be introduced to women of the court with the expectation to woo them all the way to the alter. No more would Wally have to watch as some princess tried to touch up his lover to get to the top. No more would they be a secret and have to sneak out into the cold to spend time together. "Wally?" Dick asked, glancing up. His head rested on the other's freckled chest, listening to his heartbeat. They kept hold of one another whenever they slept together. It just felt right to be touching, to be so intimate without taking things to the next level. 

"Yes?" Wally replied as he curled Dick's black hair around his finger.

"You're not doing all this to repay a debt right? I don't want to marry you if this is for the sake of when I took you away from your father," he asked. 

"Of course not! I'm doing this because I love you. Why would you think such a thing?" Dick stayed quiet for a few moments. He didn't really know why he worried about such a thing. They were prepared to run away together at one point, following through with the plan until they were invited back home, but for some reason, the thought was coming back to him. Perhaps because this was all so official. When they were in the woods, it wouldn't have been much different than when they were usually alone. If they wanted to come back, they could make up some half-assed lie. If they broke up, either of them could come back with, again, a half-assed lie. This felt so permanent and it hadn't been truly what they wanted for themselves. He had to wonder if Wally was doing this for love or for that good deed Dick had done so long ago. "Just a poisonous thought?" He nodded and nuzzled closer to his lover. He wanted this so badly. For their secret to stop being so secret. Wally could go with him anywhere if it were. He'd be able to join the banquets that made him so uncomfortable, he'd be able to defend him without something bad happening and most of all they could be happy. "I can assure you, my prince, that I want to marry you not for your wealth nor to pay back a debt. I want to marry you for who you are," Wally assured him. He kissed the acrobat on his forehead to cement his explanation. "Get some rest, we have a big day tomorrow."