298: The One Where Toni Has To Grow Up

TONI POV:

I look at Cheryl who's talking to Betty. "She's straight." Fangs says quietly. I look at him. "Yeah." I whisper. "You're right." I say sadly. I take a deep breath as I open my locker. "Hey, how's your mom?" He ask quietly. "Um... I don't really want to talk about it." I say annoyed. "Why?" He ask quietly. "I just don't want to." I whisper. "How's Joey?" He ask noticing the picture in my locker. "He's ok. He's with his aunt right now." He nods. "When can I see him again?" He ask quietly. "Can you afford child support?" I ask pissed. He looks down. "That's what I thought." I whisper. "I'm trying! I give you the money as I get it!" He says quietly. "Fangs. I need the money now, not later." He nods. "I'm sorry." He whispers before walking away. I slam my locker shut and storm off. "Hey Toni!" Jughead says as I walk into the Blue and Gold. "What's up?" I ask quietly. "Just finishing up the story. What's up with you? You seem to be in a mood." He ask quietly. "Just Fangs. I should have never had sex with him." I say quietly. "Why?" He ask quietly. "He's just doesn't know what to do with a kid." I whisper frustrated. "And it scares me." He sits back. "He can't even pay child support." I tell him. "I don't let him see Joey because of that." He nods. "I don't really want to talk about it." I whisper.

Cheryl pulls away. "What's wrong?" I ask moving hair behind her ear. "I wish we could be open with you." She whispers. I rubs her thighs and move up to her arms. "I wish I could be too babe." I whisper. "I just can't." I nod. "I'm sorry if you don't like that." She whispers. "Cher... it's ok. I get it." I tell her. "Joey?" I nod.  She takes a deep breath. "We don't have to do anything tonight if you don't want to." I whisper. She gets off me and sits next to me. "Where were you for that time?" She ask quietly. "No one saw me for almost a year because I went down to Delaware to stay with my Grandmother for my pregnancy." I tell her. "I'm so happy he's sleeping through the night." I whisper. "Mommy!" I hear and shoot up. "I spoke to soon." I sigh. "Get him." I go into Joey's room. "Hey buddy." I whisper. I pick him up. "What's wrong?" I ask him. I wipe his tears. "What's wrong bud?" I ask concerned. He shakes his head and lies into me. I rub his back. "You need to go potty?" He nods. "Ok, let's go do that." I whisper. We go into the bathroom. I put him down. "Go." I whisper. He looks at me. "Oh! You need your pj's unzipped." I say realizing why he's just staring at me. I unzip his pj's. "Sit. You know what to do!" I tell him he sits down on the small potty training toilet and well, goes potty. I hand him some toilet paper. "You know how to wipe?" I ask him. He shakes his head. "Ok."

I rub Joey's back as he falls asleep in my arms. I look at Cheryl. "I'm sorry." I whisper. She shrugs. "It's ok. I'll be in the living room." I nod as she walks out. I put Joey on his bed and go back to Cheryl. "Did you figure out why he was upset?" She ask quietly. "I think he didn't realize he had to shit." I whisper. She smiles. "He still hasn't figured out how his body works, that's why we're potty training, so he can figure this out." I whisper. "I still don't trust him without a pull up." I add. She nods. I sit down next to her. "What do you guys have planned for tomorrow?" She ask quietly. "Well, we're gonna go swimming. He needs to get some time in the pool." I tell her. She nods. "He just needs to get some energy out and he likes it so... yeah." I explain. She smiles. My mom walks downstairs. "Hey! Mom." I smile. "Hey, Joey ok?" She ask concerned. I nod. "Yeah!" I nod. She smiles. "Ok." She whispers. "How are you?" She ask quietly. I shrug. "I'm ok." I whisper. She nods. "That's good. I'm gonna make some tea. You want any?" She ask us. "No." I whisper. "Cheryl?" We look at Cheryl. "Yeah."

"Mommy! Mommy!" I look at Joey. "Watch!" He jumps into the pool and swims over to me. I smile. "Good job!" I tell him. "I'm so proud of you!" I tell him. He giggles. "Again!" He says smiling. I go to the edge of the pool and help him up. I go back a bit and wait for him to jump again. "Toni?" I look over and see Veronica. Joey jumps into the water. "Hey! V!" I say quietly. "What are you doing here?" I ask quietly. "Oh! My dad is here for physical therapy." I nod. "Who's this?" She ask motioning to Joey. "Um..." Joey looks at me. "Your brother?" Veronica ask quietly. "Ah! N-no. He's my son." I say quietly. She nods. "Oh! That makes sense because he looks just like you." She smiles. We go over to her. "Who are you?" Joey ask quietly. "I'm Veronica, I go to school with your mommy." She says quietly. Joey looks at me and I nod. "What's your name?" Veronica ask quietly. "Joey." He says quietly. "Nice to meet you." She smiles. I kiss the top of his head. "I'll see you at school?" I nod. She smiles. "Hey, Joey, how about you go get 2 pool noodles!" I whisper. Joey swims over to the stairs and goes get one. "V, I need you to promise me something." I whisper. "Clearly you have a private life and don't need anyone to know about this, so I will not tell anyone unless you tell me otherwise." She tells me. I sigh in relief. "Thank you." I whisper. She nods. "Of course." She smiles. "This isn't my story." She adds. "Ok, I'll see you tomorrow." I say before she leaves. Joey comes back over. I look at him. "Here Mommy." He hands me the noodles. "Thank you." I smile. He jumps in. "Good job!" I tell him.