336: The One With The Rant

CHERYL POV:

I look at the permission slip as the teacher drones on about it. "So you'll need a parent to sign off on this." Our teacher says. Toni raises her hand. "Oh dear god." I whisper. "Yes, Antoinette." The teacher says hesitantly. "Both my parents are dead, how do I get this signed off on? They've been in a mood lately, they haven't felt like coming back from the dead." She ask quietly. Our teacher sighs. "The adult that you live with that is legally responsible for you! How about that?" She nods. "Better." I sigh.

I look at Toni. "Toni?" I ask moving some hair out of her face. "Yeah?" She ask smiling. "You ok?" I ask quietly. "Yeah!" She says smiling. "Toni..." She shakes her head. "No..." She says looking at me. "No one willingly announces to an entire classroom of people that their parents are dead just to make a point." I say quietly. "Well, I'm done grieving! It's been 7 years, I'm over it." She tells me. "We're done with this conversation." She says quietly. "Please." She says softly. I wipe her tears.

TONI POV:

I look at both my caskets as they get lowered into the ground. I look at my uncle. "They're gonna be ok." He tells me. "What about me?" I ask quietly. "They'll be watching you." He tells me.

I jolt awake. I take a deep breath. I get up, grab my shoes and put them on, I grab my keys and drive to Cheryl's house. Once I get there I knock on the door. She opens the door. "Toni... it's 3 in the morning." She whispers. "I'm not over it." She nods. "Come in." She tells me. We walk into her house. We go upstairs and I sit on her bed. "What happened?" She ask quietly. "I had a dream, I haven't had one in months." She nods. She sits close to me. "I don't think I'm ready to talk about it still." She nods. "Do you want to stay here for the rest of the night?" She ask quietly. "We have a big day tomorrow." I nod. "Do you mind if I shower first?" I ask quietly. "Go ahead." She nods. I get up and go into her bathroom.

I look at Cheryl as I sit down next to her on the bus. I take a deep breath. "You ok?" She ask quietly. I nod. She kisses me. "Ok." She whispers. "Did you have to sit in the back?" I ask her. "You didn't have to sit with me!" She whispers. I nod.

I look at the otters as they swim around. Cheryl sits next to me. "Otters are cool." She says quietly. "They were my mom's favorite animal." I whisper. She looks at me. "That explains the tattoo." I nod. "I also really like them. Not just because of my mom. I do find them interesting." I tell her. She nods. "We use to come here all the time." I whisper. "She loved taking me here." I say quietly. I take a deep breath. "I think I need to see a therapist." I say looking at her. She nods. "Did you at any point?" I shake my head. "I wasn't ready." She nods. "It's been 7 years." I nod.

I look at the therapist. "How did they die?" She ask quietly. "Ah! Someone broke into our house and killed them." I tell her. "I don't know why it happened! Why they decided to not kill me!" I say quietly. "Do you feel guilty?" I shake my head. "I know it wasn't my fault! I was sleeping, we all were. There was nothing I could have done." She nods. "I still don't know if I'm ready to really get into it." I whisper. She nods. "You don't have to say anything yet." I nod. "Could we technically just sit here in silence for an hour?" She nods. "It's a waste of time and money. But technically if you wanted to we could." She explains. "I went to the aquarium last week." I tell her. "Yeah?" I nod. "It was for a class trip, I honestly don't know why we went, we're seniors in high school." I look at her. "It a nice break though. That might have been why! It wasn't even for science class, it was a trip with our math teacher." I say quietly. I shrug.

I look up at the sky as I float around in the pool. "You ok?" Cheryl ask quietly as she gets into the pool. "Do you think they actually watching me?" I ask quietly. "Yeah." She whispers. I take a deep breath. "Even when I'm masturbating?" I ask. "N-no. I- that would be weird." She says awkwardly. "What about when we have sex?" I ask her. "Toni! What do you think?" I shrug. "I don't know! That's why I'm asking." She looks at me. "Toni, I'm not the person to ask." She tells me. "Believe what you want." She says quietly. I take a deep breath. "It just doesn't add up." I say quietly. "I know." She tells me. I look at her. "Should I be worried about your neighbors seeing us practically naked in your backyard?" I ask quietly. "There are woods between us and the next house. You are good." I nod as I get off the floaty and go closer to Cheryl. "Are you?" I ask quietly. "You're so hot right now." She whispers pulling me into a kiss. I look at her. "I love you." I whisper. "I love you too." She tells me. "It's kinda late. Is your uncle expecting you home?" She ask quietly. "I don't know. He's been giving me freedom and I don't know what he's expecting me to do." She smiles. "Just call him and see if he wants you to go home." She kisses me. "Or I can stay here and see if he yells at me later." She nods pulling me into a kiss. "Come on, grab your shirt. It's late, I want to go to sleep and I don't trust you out here alone." She explain. "Why not?" I ask her. She looks at me. "I'm not gonna kill my self!" I tell her. "Also drowning is not my way to go out." She looks at me. I get out the pool and grab my shirt. "Why do you wear boxers?" She ask quietly. I look at her. "T-there more comfortable." I half lie. She gets out. "Really?" She ask quietly. I nod. "I'm not allowed to wear what makes me comfortable?" I ask getting a little more defensive then I probably should be. I put my shirt on. "I'm not saying that! But if it's more than that you can tell me." She says cupping my cheek. "I don't know and I don't think I'm ready to have that conversation." She nods. "You know I'll love you no matter what." She tells me. I nod. "I know." I say quietly.

I walk into the house. "I'm home!" I yell putting my keys down. "Hey Toni." My uncle says smiling. I take a deep breath. "You know, everyday you look more and more like your mom." He says quietly. I nod. "I'm sorry." I whisper. "Don't be. It's not your fault." He says quietly. "How were you able to take care of me? You were also processing the lost of your sister and my dad." He shrugs. "I did what I had to do." He says quietly. I nod. "I don't think I ever put into consideration how you were doing." I say quietly. "I was more worried about you." He tells me. "What about now?" I ask quietly. "I've had time to process and grieve." He says quietly. "And?" I ask. "I'm ok. I'm still more worried about you especially recently." He tells me. I look down. "I'm sorry." I whisper. "Don't be! You're seeing a therapist now! Hopefully things will get better." He says quietly. I nod. "You're to mad at me for staying over at Cheryl's?" I ask quietly. "No!" He says quietly. "You're almost an adult!" I nod. "Just don't be out doing shit." He says quietly. "Honestly, the most we do is go swimming unsupervised." I tell him. "You don't own a single bathing suit." He says confused. "I've left a lot of clothes at her house, I just go in my underwear."