Why is everyone obessed with kissing

What is everyone's obsession with kissing? Like I get it's how some people show love to who they love and I'm not talking about people who love kissing for them, I'm talking about people who want certain characters to kiss to make it more romantic.

Like kissing doesn't equal romance. You can have a really romantic scene and not have a kiss and in my personal opinion it's more romantic and special to have a really cute/heartfelt/romantic scene and not have a kiss. Like the light scene in Tangled. Eugene and Rapunzel holding hands and singing about finding each other and the light and them being each others new dream wasn't enough for you? That scene is perfect as it is and so cute and innocent.

Like I get some people like that stuff and that is great and all but why does everyone need to kiss? Like if you can show romance without kissing or s3x than thats brilliant writing and makes for a better story in my opinion and makes it less generic.

Another example, you might know I'm a huge fan of Julie and the Phantoms, I've written multiple fanfics. Love that show, sadly it was cancelled (Boo you Netflix!) and I've seen floating across the internet once or twice it was cancelled because of the age gap between the actors that played two characters who we're supposed to be in love or whatever and it would be weird for them to kiss, and I'm like that can't possibly be the reason because the show wasn't a romance show in the first place so they don't really need them to kiss anyways like it doesn't really matter. And thing number two, they went a whole season showing their relationship without them even touching since he was a ghost and she wasn't so they definitely don't need to make them kiss to show romance so that just isn't the reason they canceled it and if it is than I hate Netflix even more because that's just a dumb reason to cancel a show. (In my opinion)

Anyways that's all for my first aroace thought, I have been on and off with making this book for a while because there's so many times where I'm just like so confused by people and how they react to romance in fiction it makes no sense to me sometimes lol. So yea, I hope this goes well and maybe someone out there kinda sorta relates.