Ch. 11: The Party at the Shoreline! Part 1

Cameron: Man, what a hike...

Elaine: Tell me about it...

Both of us were incredibly tired from our journey to Vermillion City. We can't even move at all anymore...

Once I fell asleep... I jumped back up, remembering my next Gym!!! My perk-up was unexpected, which surprised Elaine when it happened.

Cameron: I can't rest now!!!! My next Gym battle is coming!

Elaine: Well, I'm resting.

Cameron: Go ahead and rest. I can at least walk around town and explore while I still can.

After leaving Elaine at the Pokémon Center, I sent out my Pokémon, including Squirtle, to roam with me as we explore Vermillion City. It's sundown, so I think the city will be TWICE as better at night. As we explored the city, we noticed the Vermillion Harbor. I sat down at the dock and took in the air as Pikachu sat on my head to feel it as well. Suddenly, I heard music farther down the dock. When I went to check it out, I found a party on a cruise ship known as the S.S. Anne.

Cameron: What's going on here?

Sailor: The S.S Anne is in the harbor this year. We're celebrating its return to Kanto with a battle tournament. Want to join?

Cameron: YOU BET!!

After 5 minutes of orientation, I headed up to the ship's battlefield. As I entered the room, the commentator announced my arrival.

Commentator: Attention everyone, our tournament has a last-minute entry. Turn your attention to Trainer Cameron and his Pikachu!

Only a few number of people clapped, while others watched. I think some of them were highly personal critics who won't respect me until they see my skills.

Commentator: Let the tournament begin!

As the jumbotron revealed the roster, I was in the fourth match of the tournament. The first three battles were breathtaking. I couldn't even resist cheering for the other competitors. As my first battle came up, I got my team ready for action.

Commentator: Alright everyone, we've seen some amazing battles throughout these preliminary matches. And now, let's see what are last two Trainers are made of! Give a hand for Cameron!

Again, no applause.

Commentator: Give another applause for Trace!!

My mouth dropped when I saw my rival step onto the field!!

Trace: Hey, Cameron!

Cameron: Trace!? When did you start competing??

Trace: I came when I saw you come to the S.S. Anne. Shall we get this battle started?

Cameron: We shall.

And so, my first Pokémon was Ivysaur.

Trace: Let's roll, Pidgeotto!

Trace sent his Pidgeotto out. I needed to be smart to avoid a Flying-type attack from it.

Cameron: Use Take Down!

Ivysaur went charging head-on towards Pidgeotto!

Trace: Use Quick Attack!

Pidgeotto speedily approached Ivysaur!

Before the moves clashed, Pidgeotto suddenly went higher up.

Trace: Use Wing Attack!!

Pidgeotto stretched out its wings and hit Ivysaur!

In a moment of worry, I recalled Ivysaur and sent Squirtle out. Squirtle is raring to battle.

Trace: Use Wing Attack!

Pidgeotto went forward for another Wing Attack.

Cameron: Quick! Use Withdraw!!

Squirtle hid in its shell just as Pidgeotto hit it!

Cameron: Now, use Water Pulse!

Squirtle fired a Water Pulse at Pidgeotto. It was a critical hit!!

Pidgeotto was down after the hit.

Commentator: Pidgeotto is down! What a whirlwind of a battle!

I called Ivysaur back for the next Pokémon.

Trace sent out his Jolteon.

Cameron: Nice. You evolved your Eevee.

Trace: Use Discharge!

Jolteon discharged electricity all around the battlefield! Ivysaur was paralyzed once it was hit!

Cameron: Oh no!

Trace: Use Quick Attack!

Jolteon charged toward Ivysaur at full speed.

Cameron: Use Venoshock!

Ivysaur broke through the paralysis and fired a green poison from its bud. The poison landed around Ivysaur.

Once Jolteon stepped in a Venoshock puddle, its foot got stuck! Now's my chance!

Cameron: Finish it with Razor Leaf!

Ivysaur flung a Razor Leaf, taking down Jolteon.

Commentator: Cameron wins the match! He moves on to the semifinals.

Trace and I shook hands as my friend wished me good luck in the next match.

I'm going to need it!

End of Chapter 11