Ch. 16: Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Cameron: Well, we made it to Lavender Town.

Elaine examined the town. It had purple brick paths and houses, hence the town's name.

Elaine: It looks... sinister.

Her reaction wasn't wrong: the place was all kinds of spooky...

???: Excuse me.

We looked to see a little girl. She had a monotone look on her face, including pale skin.

Little Girl: Do you believe in ghosts?

Me and Elaine examined the question. We haven't seen any ghosts, yet we don't know what we're missing. What should be our answer?

Cameron: No. I guess not, anyway.

Little Girl: Oh, well. That hand on your shoulder...I must be imagining things.

Her mentioning of a hand on my shoulder...I did feel a cold touch there.

As we healed our Pokémon, we stopped at a house. As we went in, we learned that the house was a home for orphaned Pokémon.

Cameron: What happened to all these Pokémon?

Caretaker: The Pokémon here were attacked by Team Rocket. Only one Pokémon lost its life. This Cubone survives it.

A small Cubone sat in its pen, sad for the loss of its mother...

Cameron: Is there anyone who can help it?

Caretaker: Not really. The runner of the organization, Mr. Fuji, went to Pokémon Tower after rumors of ghosts appearing there. He never came back since.

Cameron: Ghosts? Pokémon Tower?

Caretaker: If you really want to see for yourself...be prepared.

Elaine and I arrived at Pokémon Tower as we intended to. Though the place looked shady, we got inside.

At the second floor, a mysterious woman warned us of the danger.

Pacifier: Be warned...other familiars were possessed by the ghosts above. They may target you too.

After we went to the third floor, we saw a lot of weird Ghost-type Pokémon. Gastly and Haunter were most common.

Elaine: Hey Cameron, do you happen to have a Moon Stone?

Cameron: One. Why?

I'm going to evolve Nidorina and Jigglypuff.

I gave my spare Moon Stone to Elaine. She used the two to evolve her Pokémon.

Her Nidorina became Nidoqueen and learned Superpower.

Her Jigglypuff became Wigglytuff and learned Play Rough.

As we rose up the tower, we defeated every Ghost Pokémon as we made it to the top floor. When we reached the stairs to the roof...

???: Get...out... GET...OUT!!!

The ghost attacked us as it appeared. No moves were working as we attempted to attack it.

Cameron: Nothing's working!

Elaine: Uh oh!

The ghost was coming at us until...

"Cu!"

The Cubone from the Pokémon orphanage defended us from the ghost. The ghost didn't move when it focused on Cubone. When it came down to Cubone, it revealed its true form: a Marowak.

Cubone happily hugged the Marowak as the Pokémon was calmed by its presence.

Cameron: I figured it out.

Elaine: What?

Cameron: ...that this Marowak was Cubone's mom.

The mother Marowak's spirit began to disappear, returning to the afterlife....

Elaine comforted Cubone as I went upstairs. I saw Team Rocket, with an old man.

That must be Mr. Fuji!

Me and my Pokémon attacked Team Rocket and kicked them out of the tower!

Mr. Fuji: Thank you so much, young man. I came to this tower to put Marowak's spirit to rest, but once I came, those Rockets took me hostage.

Cameron: It's no big deal. Let's get out of here. The Pokémon House needs you.

After we escorted Mr. Fuji out of the tower, he gave us a nice gift.

Mr. Fuji: This is a Poke Flute. It can wake up sleeping Pokémon, so you can get past that Snorlax at Route 11. There's another outside Celadon City as well.

Cameron: Thanks for the tip. Come on, Elai...

I lost track of my sentence as I saw Elaine hug Cubone goodbye. When I let her leave the house, I whispered something to Mr. Fuji. He smiled at the request.

At Route 8...

Cameron: Elaine!

Elaine: Cameron? What took you so long?

Cameron: I had to speak with Mr. Fuji. He wanted me to give you this.

I gave Elaine a Poké Ball. When she released the Pokémon, it was Cubone!

Elaine: But...

Cameron: Mr. Fuji wanted you to keep Cubone. You made quite a relationship with it, so I asked Mr. Fuji to let you have it.

Elaine suddenly hugged me to express the love of her new gift.

Elaine: Thank you. I'm glad to be raising Cubone.

After a small moment, Elaine ran forward.

Elaine: My hometown is next. I hope you're going to love it!

Cameron: I sure will.

Elaine sure loved her new Pokémon. I hope she builds one heavy bond with it.

End of Chapter 16