Series 4 Chapter 37: I'll Fine You!

At my quarterfinal match, I met my opponent. It was Barry!

Barry: Hey, there, Cameron!

Cameron: Barry?! When did you get all the way here?

Barry: I'm a fast guy. It's my MO. So, shall we get started?

Cameron: We shall.

It was a three-on-three match! We sent out our respective Staraptor!

Barry: Staraptor, start off with Aerial Ace!

Barry's Staraptor began with Aerial Ace!

Cameron: Staraptor, Brave Bird!

My Staraptor charged forward with Brave Bird, dealing incredible damage to Barry's Staraptor!

Barry: Just what we wanted! Use Final Gambit!

Staraptor created a ball of energy and flung it at my Staraptor, taking it down instantly!! After that, Barry's Staraptor fainted as well!

Cameron: Final Gambit.... Nice move.

Barry: You're too easily impressed, so I'm willing to take you down.

Cameron: Very well. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

I sent in Pikachu! Barry sent out his Roserade!

Cameron: Let's be cautious. A Poison-type is bound to to sting us! Use Quick Attack!

Pikachu went for the first attack!

Barry: Use Toxic!

Cameron: Dodge it!

Pikachu avoided Toxic and scored a hit with Quick Attack!

Barry: Magical Leaf!

Roserade shot Magical Leaf!

Cameron: Bat them away with Iron Tail!

Pikachu smashed the Magical Leaf with Iron Tail, but she was hit heavily by more of them!

Barry: Go for it! Toxic!

Roserade scored Toxic, badly poisoning Pikachu! Pikachu landed safely, but struggled to stay on her feet!

Cameron: Pikachu, you can take a rest. That poison will knock you loose!

Pikachu hesitated for a moment, until she refused! Even if the poison was tough to handle, Pikachu didn't want to quit!

Cameron: Okay. I'm with you 100%.

Pikachu nodded in approval.

Cameron: Use Rising Voltage!

Pikachu used Rising Voltage, trapping Roserade in a large electric box!

Cameron: Now, Thunderbolt!

Pikachu defeated Roserade with Thunderbolt!!

Upon the victory, Pikachu collapsed! I picked her up and fed her a Pecha Berry.

Cameron: You did great. I'm glad you're so tough.

Pikachu smiled before crawling into my bag.

Barry: Man, Cameron. Your Pokémon are so impressive. I can't wait for how this'll turn out. Let's finish this!

Cameron: Same here, Barry!

We sent out our final Pokémon: Empoleon and Torterra!

Cameron: Let's show Barry what you're made of! Use Drill Peck!

Empoleon began its Drill Peck!

Barry: Torterra, Withdraw!

Torterra tucked into its shell and blocked Drill Peck!

Cameron: Steel Wing!

Barry: Razor Leaf!

Empoleon sliced through Razor Leaf before attempting to lay an attack!

Barry: Earthquake!

Torterra used Earthquake, sending Empoleon midair!

Barry: Leaf Storm!

Torterra laid fearsome damage with Leaf Storm! Once Empoleon landed, it slowly stood up.

Barry: Not giving up, I see. Use Earthquake!

When Torterra used Earthquake, Empoleon split it apart by slamming its fin into the ground! Its fins then started to glow.

Cameron: Here we go!

Barry: What?

Empoleon's Ability has activated. Torrent has made Empoleon twice as strong!

Cameron: Alright. Let's win this thing! Use Steel Wing!

Barry: Counter it with Razor Leaf!

Torterra attempted to prevent Empoleon from closing the distance with Razor Leaf! However, Empoleon sliced them all with one swing. It then struck Torterra relentlessly!

Barry: Use Leech Seed! Stop it from going any further!

Due to the close proximity, Torterra landed Leech Seed easily! Empoleon was soon being drained of its stamina! Luckily, Empoleon gained more and more strength from the diminishing damage!

Cameron: Let's win this thing! Hydro Cannon!

Empoleon bundled its remaining strength into a powerful Hydro Cannon!

Barry: Use Leaf Storm!

The two moves resulted in an explosive clash! The two Pokémon's heavy struggle went for a while, until Empoleon overpowered Leaf Storm and defeated Torterra, taking the win!

Barry shook his head and returned his Torterra after a word of praise.

Barry: Man, I lost. That was exciting. Thanks for the battle! I definitely needed it!

Cameron: No big deal, Barry.

Barry: Have fun in the semifinals.

We ended our conversation with a handshake, thus simplifying our friendship.

Cameron: See you, Barry.

Barry: Ditto.

We turned toward the exit as Barry and I took one last look at one another before moving ahead.

Back at the plaza, I treated my Pokémon to an edible mayhem of food! The only one who ate the least was Pikachu.

Cameron: Feeling weird?

Pikachu nodded.

Cameron: Don't fret. If the poison was making you uncomfortable, I can take you out for the semifinals.

Pikachu actually agreed. She was downhearted, but understood my concern.

Cameron: I'm glad you understand. Elaine can watch over you during the battle.

As if on cue, Elaine appeared with news about my next opponent.

Elaine: Hey, Cameron! I found some info about your next opponent.

Cameron: What about them?

Elaine: He's from the Unova region. He uses Dark-type Pokémon.

Cameron: A Dark-type Trainer? I better start planning!

For the rest of the day, I mellowed over my plans to counter against this Dark-type Trainer from Unova. I can't wait to see how this guy battles!

End of Chapter 37