Series 4 Chapter 2: A Fiery Form of Friendship!

Route 202 was almighty long, so we are taking a break. We sat at a nearby tree underneath the shade.

Cameron: Man, we need a little miracle if we're going to reach the next city.

Elaine: Jubilife City is less than three hours on foot.

Dawn: Yet, we are so hot...

Luck came on our side when a sudden updraft blew, cooling us all off. However, the draft didn't stop, and Pikachu started getting blown away!

Once I grabbed her, I saw the culprit: a Starly.

Pokédex: Starly, the Starling Pokémon. A Normal- and Flying-type. These Pokémon flock in fields and mountains, searching for prey. When they sing, the shrill sounds are very irritating!

Starly kept blowing at us with Whirlwind!

Cameron: Pikachu, Thunderbolt!

Pikachu zapped Starly with Thunderbolt!

I threw a Poké Ball and successfully caught Starly! Now that Starly was my Pokémon, I sent it back out to ask a question.

Cameron: Why were you trying to Whirlwind us into the horizon?

Starly just pridefully sat and stayed quiet.

Cameron: You better talk now, or I tell Pikachu to zap you again.

When Starly took a nervous look at Pikachu, the Pokémon swallowed its pride and showed us why it tried to blow us away, pointing its wing at our food basket.

Cameron: You're hungry. I see...

I took out a Berry and was about to give it to Starly. Suddenly, another Pokémon whisked by and stole the Berry.

Pokédex: Staravia, the Starling Pokémon. A Normal- and Flying-type, and the evolved form of Starly. This Pokémon lives in forests and fields, causing squabbles with other flocks for control of territory.

Starly looked away in nervousness.

Cameron: Is that Staravia...your mom?

Starly nodded.

Staravia pulled a fierce stare at us. It then began its attack with Wing Attack! Suddenly, another Pokémon appeared and blocked the attack! It was the Chimchar from Professor Rowan's lab!

Chimchar blasted an Ember, but Staravia blew it away with Whirlwind!

Cameron: Snorunt, help us out!

The Snow Hat Pokémon launched an Ice Shard upon being sent out, but Staravia dodged and hit Snorunt with Steel Wing!

Starly was still scared of facing its mother, so I needed to convince it to help.

Cameron: Starly, I know you're scared of facing your mom, but sometimes, you need to tell her that you want to live your own life. If you want to wait, then work up the courage.

Starly had a small sparkle of enlightenment in its eyes. Suddenly, Starly took off, facing against its mom alone.

I picked up Chimchar as we all watched Starly.

Starly started speaking to its mother, wanting to join us on our adventure. Staravia was against it, but Starly showed its desire to join my team by scoring a hit on its mother with its newly learned U-turn, returning to its Poké Ball upon the attack's hit!

Cameron: Great job, Starly.

Staravia took another look at me and smiled. She knew its child was in good hands, so she flew away to her nest.

After sending Starly back out, we spoke to Chimchar.

Cameron: How did you find us?

Chimchar looked back to where it came from: Professor Rowan's lab.

Cameron: You followed us?

Chimchar nodded.

I called Professor Rowan and got informed that Chimchar ran away from the lab.

Professor Rowan: I think Chimchar was lonely since it wasn't chosen by any Trainers. It decided to go find you after you all left.

Cameron: Do you want me to take him back?

Professor Rowan: Chimchar wanted to join you from the start, but I guess I was too strict. You can keep Chimchar. I'll send its Poké Ball to your PC system.

Cameron: Well, welcome to the team, Chimchar!

The Chimp Pokémon cheered in excitement for being accepted!

Cameron: Glad to meet you!

After that, we continued on to Jubilife City, fully rejuvenated after an exciting adventure!

End of Chapter 2