Series 5 Chapter 14: The Drilbur Diggers!

After parting ways with Elesa, we got back to Nimbasa and set off to Route 5. However, we didn't get so far when I tripped on a bump in the path!

Trace: Are you alright?

Cameron: Yeah, just surprised. Why is this bump here?

But we noticed more bumps. All around the area. This was weird, so we needed to investigate. We asked a guitarist why and how these bumps appeared.

Guitarist: There were these Drilbur. They dug and dug and dug, leaving bumps and dents above the ground. It was vibrating underground when it happened, and it shook to an abrupt stop soon after. Hope you have any luck figuring this out more than I do.

We used the only clue we had to investigate the entire route. Along the way, Trace caught a wild Foongus that was wandering the forest. When we looked inside the forest, we heard...drilling.

Cameron: Hear that?

Rosa and Trace heard the sound as well.

Cameron: That must be the Drilbur. Let's go.

We saddled into the forest, and once we traced the sound to its source, it wasn't the Drilbur at all.

Team Plasma Grunt: Keep drilling! The stone has to be here somewhere! Capture any Pokémon that emerge underground!

Team Plasma was digging into the ground with a drill. There were Pokémon trapped in cages. Before we stepped in, a Drilbur got in front of us!

Pokédex: Drilbur, the Mole Pokémon. A Ground-type. Drilbur spins its body around like a drill as it digs. This Pokémon's digging speed is recorded to be 30 mph.

Drilbur pushed us away before it dug into the ground, emerging near the drill and attacking with Rock Smash!

Team Plasma Grunt: Capture it!

A net was shot toward Drilbur, but the Pokémon sliced it to pieces with Scratch! Before another net was fired, Drilbur escaped!

Cameron: We better leave before they notice us.

We hid in the forest as we looked for Drilbur. We searched endlessly until we saw scratch marks on trees. Drilbur was sitting by one of them, weakened.

Cameron: Drilbur!

Drilbur tried to drive us away, but flinched from a stinging pain and staggered back down.

Cameron: Don't worry. Let me help you.

Drilbur watched as I rummaged my bag for any medicine. I found a Sitrus Berry.

Cameron: Here, eat this. This will give some energy into your body.

Drilbur reluctantly ate the Sitrus Berry and perked up.

Cameron: See? You feeling better?

Drilbur nodded quietly. It then tried to walk back to the drill.

Cameron: You can't go back there!

Trace: Team Plasma will capture you!

Drilbur suddenly turned around and used an attempted Drill Run, but the move failed, causing Drilbur to hit a tree branch!

Cameron: I see. You were training. Are you trying to help the other Pokémon.

Drilbur nodded.

Cameron: We can help you. We can help you master Drill Run!

Trace: What do you say!

Drilbur looked back and agreed to train. Drilbur first battled my Oshawott, luckily managing to master the form for Drill Run, but struggled to make the attack hit!

Cameron: You can do it! You just need good momentum to score a hit. How about....

I soon remembered something. Something useful!

Cameron: That's it! My Empoleon! It knows Drill Peck, and it always dove headfirst before spinning. Try it.

Drilbur jumped up and dove down!

Cameron: Now spin!

Drilbur spun as he scored a hit on Oshawott! Drilbur had mastered Drill Run!

Cameron: Awesome! Now, let's stop Team Plasma!

Trace: Yeah!

We ran back to the drilling site, where the Grunts were fully aware of our presence.

Team Magma Grunt: Get them!

One of the Grunts sent out a Liepard!

Cameron: Tranquill, help us out!

Tranquill and Drilbur charged toward Liepard!

Cameron: Use Air Cutter!

Drilbur joined the attack with Rock Smash, easily defeating Liepard!

Cameron: Now, Tranquill, use Air Cutter to open the cages!

Tranquill used Air Cutter and slashed the locks off. The wild Pokémon soon escaped into the forest.

Team Plasma Grunt: We won't let these kids ruin our plans! Trubbish, use Sludge Bomb!

Trubbish fired a Sludge Bomb!

Rosa sent out Riolu and had it use Bullet Punch to smash through the attack! As it prepares to attack Trubbish, it became enveloped in a bright light! Its ears grew long and gains metal spikes on its hands, shoulders and chest. Riolu evolved into Lucario!

After Lucario defeated Trubbish with Bullet Punch, it uses its new move, Aura Sphere, to destroy the drill!

Cameron: Alright, Rosa!

Rosa was in awe at her Pokémon's strength, so she had Lucario use Reversal at an oncoming Shadow Ball from another Grunt's Liepard!

Team Rocket Grunt: Retreat!

The remaining Grunts ran from the scene!

Cameron: We did it!

We all pulled a hi-five to celebrate our victory!

Cameron: Well, Drilbur, we freed the Pokémon and they're all safe. Our work here is done.

Trace: I heard we can cross the Driftviel Drawbridge at noon. It's three minutes until noon!

Cameron: Then we better hurry!

We ran on toward the bridge, reaching it right before it was brought down. Suddenly, Drilbur emerged from underground!

Cameron: Drilbur? What's wrong?

Drilbur got out of the hole and gestured to itself, and then me.

Cameron: You...want to join us?

Drilbur nodded.

Cameron: You know... That's not a bad idea! The more, the merrier!

I pulled out a Poké Ball and tapped Drilbur with it. After three small vibrations, the catch was complete!

Cameron: I caught a Drilbur!

Immediately, I used a Pokémon Box Link to send Whirlipede to Professor Oak's lab before putting Drilbur in place. The bridge was completely down soon after.

Cameron: Well, then. To Driftviel City!

We all set off across the bridge to Driftviel City. However, what was waiting at the other side was a surprise! Hugh was threatening a Tram Plasma Grunt!

Hugh: Tell me about a Purrloin you guys stole five years ago! Now!!

End of Chapter 14