Ch. 30: The Earth Badge!

At the Viridian Gym, we stopped at the door. The old man who stood by it notified that the Gym Leader has returned, but no one knows who he is.

Cameron: I intend to find out, then!

Elaine and I entered the Gym as we walked past several statues of Meowth. I did know the Gym uses Ground-types, so using Venusaur, Blastoise and Lapras is highly recommendable.

When we came into a room with a map of the entire region, we had deduced who the Gym Leader is...

Cameron: Who could it be?

Elaine: It could only be...

Giovanni: Me.

Me and Elaine turned to see Giovanni, who had emerged behind us.

Giovanni: I am not only Team Rocket's faithful leader...I am the Gym Leader of Viridian City. If you want to stop me once again, you need to beat me in a Gym battle, if that's what you were expecting.

Cameron: I accept...

We took our places at the battlefield, next door from his room.

Giovanni sent out his Persian.

Cameron: Pikachu, go!

Pikachu jumped off of my shoulder onto the field. We stood, waiting for either of us to make a move. After one minute...

Cameron: Pikachu, Thunderbolt!

Giovanni: Persian, Power Gem!

Pikachu fired a Thunderbolt just as Persian fired a beam from the gem in its forehead! Both moves clashed into a powerful explosion!

Cameron: Use Iron Tail!

Pikachu quickly ran to Persian for a surprise attack!

Giovanni: Use Double Team!

Persian split itself with illusory copies, confusing Pikachu!

Cameron: Get rid of the copies with Thunder!

Pikachu dispersed its electricity all around the Persian, not only getting rid of the fakes, but hitting the real Persian as well!

Giovanni: Use Slash!

Cameron: Use Iron Tail!

Both Pokémon clashed, exchanging attack after attack, until Pikachu fazed Persian when it cracks the gem on Persian's head! Persian went into despair for its ruined gem!

Cameron: Thunderbolt!

Pikachu took advantage of the temporary opening and finished off Persian with Thunderbolt!

Giovanni grew more determined and sent out his second Pokémon: Nidoqueen!

Cameron: Charizard, your turn to shine!

Charizard roared after its send out after I recalled Pikachu!

Giovanni: This will be easy! Nidoqueen, use Rock Slide!

Nidoqueen dropped rocks down like avalanche at Charizard!

Cameron: Quick! Get airborne!

Charizard spread its wings and took off! Nidoqueen kept trying to smack him down, but Charizard flew as fast as it could, avoiding every Rock Slide!

Cameron: Use Air Slash!

Charizard's wings began to glow and blew blades of air at Nidoqueen! The move was a critical hit!

Giovanni: Nidoqueen, Rock Slide!

Nidoqueen launched another Rock Slide!

Cameron: Use Flamethrower!