Series 2 Chapter 6: Showdown at the Violet City Gym!

At the Pokémon Center, I told Ethan and Kris of my new goal and what I've accomplished.

Ethan: So...you won all eight of Kanto's Gym badges and won the Pokémon League?

I nodded.

Kris: ...and you came to Johto to earn this region's Gym badges as well?

I nodded.

Kris: Then we have no time to waste! Violet City's Gym is a short way from here! Come on!

Kris rushed out of the door without hesitation!

We thinly followed her.

After Kris led us to Violet City's Gym, she gestured me inside to take the challenge!

After I got inside, a Trainer explained the challenge: I need to ride a Flying-type Pokémon and get of barricades blocking the way to the top. If I reach the top of the tower, I'll face the Gym Leader.

I mounted Dragonite and took to the sky.

Cameron: Smash through the barricades with Dragon Rush!

Dragonite charged past the barricades and made it to the top platform. The Gym Leader noticed our presence and gave us a wave.

Falkner: Hello, Trainer! Falkner is my name and I am the Flying-type Gym Leader of Violet City! I saw how you managed to get up here, and I'm impressed with your Dragonite. Ready for a Gym Battle?

I happily nodded!

Falkner: Not only we will have a Gym battle, ours will be a Sky Battle. We use only Flying-type Pokémon that can stay airborne.

I happily agreed to the battle. Falkner led me to my side of the Sky Battle area and let me send out my first Pokémon.

I let Dragonite go first as Falkner sent out a Golbat!

Cameron: Ready, Dragonite?

The Pokémon nodded in agreement!

Cameron: Use Dragon Claw!

Dragonite flew towards Golbat and readied a Dragon Claw!

Falkner: Golbat, Steel Wing!

Golbat hardened its wings and clashed with Dragonite's Dragon Claw!

The clash was close, but Dragonite managed to overpower Golbat!

The Bat Pokémon regained flying balance.

Falkner: Use Poison Fang!

Golbat steeped its teeth with poison and bit Dragonite! Upon the hit, Dragonite was badly poisoned!

Cameron: Are you able to keep going?

Dragonite shook its head. It needed to stand out from battle. It flew back and landed behind me. I gave her a Pecha Berry to help with the poison.

I sent out Pidgey to substitute for Dragonite. Pidgey bravely took off!

Falkner: Use Poison Fang!

Golbat readied another Poison Fang!

Cameron: Use Double Team!

Pidgey multiplied with Double Team to confuse Golbat!

Falkner: Lose the copies with Air Cutter!

Golbat blew a draft of wind and sliced the fakes away!

Pidgey was found behind Golbat!

Cameron: Use Tackle!

Pidgey defeated Golbat with Tackle!

Pidgey did a celebratory free flight session for its first win!

Falkner wasn't finished yet. He sent out his last Pokémon: Noctowl.

Pidgey took off towards its new opponent!

Falkner: Noctowl, Use Confusion!

Noctowl's Confusion scored a direct hit on Pidgey, confusing it.

Falkner: Let's finish this. Air Slash!

Noctowl fired an Air Slash, but Pidgey suddenly dodged it!

Cameron: What the...

Falkner: That must be Pidgey's Ability, Tangled Feet. It makes Pidgey more evasive when confused. Although, that won't stop me. Noctowl, use Air Slash again!

Noctowl used Air Slash after Air Slash, but Pidgey's Tangled Feet Ability helped the bird dodge them all! Noctowl soon got tired!

Cameron: Now, Pidgey! Use Gust!

Pidgey snapped itself out and blew Noctowl away with Gust!

With Noctowl defeated, I won my first Gym battle in the Johto region!

As Pidgey celebrated, it began to glow in a harsh light. It gained display feathers on its head and grew slightly larger. Pidgey evolved into Pidgeotto!

Pidgeotto also used a new move. It began to somersault in the air, keeping its wings out as it flew with style. It learned Aerial Ace!

Falkner flew over on his Golbat. He had a large grin on his face.

Falkner: You really are impressive. For your efforts in beating me, I reward you with the Zephyr Badge!

I happily thanked Falkner for the Gym badge as we flew back down to the entrance. Falkner waved farewell as he saw me out.

After I stepped out of the Gym, Kris excitedly appeared in my face!

Kris: How'd it go?

I showed Ethan and Kris my new Zephyr Badge!

Ethan: Cool! You're on your way for sure!

Cameron: I sure am!

Kris: I'd like to see how strong you are now. I heard you battled Ethan and won. My turn!

Kris sent out her two Pokémon: Totodile and Sentret.

Cameron: Okay.

And so, me and Kris had our battle. I hope to see what adventures will take us in our stride next!

End of Chapter 6