Ch. 13: The Lightning American!

The next day, Elaine and I headed to Vermillion City's Pokémon Gym to face Lt. Surge. By the time we got in, we were suddenly attacked by a pair of Magnemite!

Elaine was going to help, but I stopped her, thinking that this is a challenge for Trainers taking on the Gym.

I sent out Charmeleon, and it was ready to go!

The Magnemite attacked with Thunder Shock!

Cameron: Use Flamethrower!

Charmeleon singed the Steel-types with a powerful Flamethrower!

After the Magnemite were defeated, we kept moving, but Elaine wasn't sitting at the seats.

Cameron: Why aren't you sitting there?

Elaine: I'd rather see at the field. I want a better look if I see a battle.

As we kept moving, I defeated more and more Electric-type Pokémon guarding the Gym Leader's sanctum. We soon arrived at the sanctum.

Cameron: Hello!?

The lights revealed the battlefield and the Gym Leader. He sat as his Pokémon, a Raichu, looked at us.

Lt. Surge: Hey kids! Welcome to my Gym! I'm sorry my Pokémon attacked you. I'm from the military, so my Pokémon are trained to have my back and stay vigilant against intruders.

Cameron: No big deal. I needed extra training!

Lt. Surge: Well, then. Now that you're here, ready to earn my respect?

I nodded as I walked to the other end of the battlefield. Pikachu was suddenly quiet.

Cameron: What is it?

Her eyes were focused on Lt. Surge's Raichu.

Cameron: Oh, I see. Don't worry. You'll go against Raichu.

Pikachu nodded as she got ready.

Cameron: But, Lt. Surge has two Pokémon, so I'll start off with Charmeleon. Is that okay?

Pikachu nodded. I did sense a hint of disappointment in her eyes, but she understood my wishes.

Lt. Surge: Magneton, let's eletrocute this kid to size!

He sent out the three-headed Magneton.

I sent Charmeleon into battle.

Lt. Surge: Magneton, use Tri Attack!

Magneton fired a red, blue and yellow beam from its magnets.

Cameron: Use Flamethrower!

Charmeleon clashed its Flamethrower with the Tri Attack!!

A huge smokescreen formed upon impact!

Lt. Surge: Reflect!

Magneton formed a barrier in front of itself.

Cameron: Use Brick Break!

Charmeleon appeared behind Magneton and went in for a hard chop. Upon the move's hit, it broke the Reflect move!

Lt. Surge: Thunderbolt!

Magneton fired a Thunderbolt!

Cameron: Dodge it and use Fire Fang!

Charmeleon swiftly avoided the attack and used a super-effective Fire Fang at Magneton, defeating it.

Elaine: Yeah!

Evo joined her Trainer in the cheers.

Lt. Surge: Nice job. But no Trainer has never beaten this one.