Series 3 Chapter 36: An Elite Dragon's Presence!

At a small island at least seven miles southwest of Mossdeep City, we all sat on the sand, completely tired and almost out cold!

Cameron: I can't believe we're lost!

May: I lost the map...

Brendan: And we can't use a digital map without any reception.

Wally: We need a miracle.

Elaine: You can say that again...

???: I can help with it.

We all sat up and saw a man with a Salamence by his side.

Drake: My name is Drake, and this is my partner Salamence.

Pokédex: Salamence, the Dragon Pokémon. A Dragon- and Flying-type. Salamence's wings are very strong, able to send this Pokémon at almost 300 feet airborne! With a mighty roar, Salamence spews a powerful column of fire at potential foes.

Salamence nodded as he knelt to us and gave us some affection.

Drake: You all look like sublime Pokémon Trainers.

Cameron: Really? We're just traveling together. Nothing special.

Drake: I sense how good a Trainer you are. You have seven Gym badges, correct?

Cameron: Yes.

Drake: I want you to battle me and Salamence. Let me see how good you are.

Cameron: A battle? Okay.

Pikachu stepped forward.

Cameron: You're in, Pikachu.

Pikachu cheered and excitedly readied herself for battle.

Drake: Salamence, fly!

Salamence took off!

Cameron: Use Electro Ball!

Pikachu shot an Electro Ball!

Drake: Use Flamethrower!

Salamence blasted a powerful Flamethrower!

Both moves scored a direct hit on their targets!

Cameron: Iron Tail!

Pikachu readied an Iron Tail!

Drake: Stop Pikachu with Fire Fang!

Salamence grabbed Pikachu with Fire Fang!

Drake: Throw Pikachu in the air and use Dragon Tail!

Salamence flung Pikachu up and slammed it back down with Dragon Tail!

Pikachu tried to stand up and continue, but ultimately fell.

Cameron: Wow. First loss in ages. It's a little bittersweet, but I needed it.

Drake: Ha! I've never seen a Trainer like you over the years. Oh, how the young amaze me...

I found myself amused and laughing along with his comment.

Drake: You know, you are at an island that is off the coast of Hoenn.

Cameron: Really? Where are we?

Drake: We're at the Mirage Island. It is said that a Legendary Dragon-type Pokémon is found here.

Brendan: Really? Let's find it!

Drake: Hold on. Your enthusiasm knows no bounds, but there is a difficult approach to encountering this Pokémon.

We all listened closely.

Drake: You need to have a strong desire to see it. Only then will it appear.

And so, Drake led us throughout the island, seeing mesmerizing sights and observing wild Pokémon. After an hour, we reached an entrance to a deeper part of the forest.

Drake: This is where we can meet the Legendary Pokémon. Be ready, for it is very shy.

We walked into the forest and saw a large rock. We were confused about why the rock was there, but assumed it was part of the plan.

Drake took a small flute out of his pocket.

Drake: Play this. You'll find out why.

He gave the flute to me, and I started playing a lighthearted tune. Once I was finished, the rock began to light up, causing a beacon to glow from it. After 5 minutes, a red Pokémon resembling a fighter jet swooped into the forest, hearing the tune of the flute.

Drake: Check your Pokédex. It has an entry.

Pokédex: Latias, the Eon Pokémon. A Dragon- and Psychic-type. Latias is very intelligent, and is able to understand human speech. This Pokémon enfolds its down with light to camouflage itself.

Cameron: Hi, Latias.

Latias waved back!

Cameron: Wow. It sure takes a while for a Pokémon to differentiate between languages, but it sure is impressive.

Latias agreed with a nod and examined me. She saw Pikachu and shot her into the air!

Pikachu was left suspended midair with Psychic, playing with her like a rag doll.

I jumped up to get Pikachu, but Latias transferred its Psychic toward me. Once it lifted me up, it dispersed the area in mist.

Cameron: Guys?

Pikachu responded!

Cameron: Pikachu? Where are you?

The Mouse Pokémon surprised me by landing on my head!

Cameron: Where'd you go?

Pikachu pointed to Latias, who was enjoying its playtime!

Cameron: Hey, Latias. Is it okay if I battle you? I'm training to become a Champion here, so can you help me out?

Latias got rid of the mist and put me down. When I landed, I had a limp.

Latias saw a bruise on my lower leg.

Cameron: I may be hurt, but I'm still going.

Latias flew down toward my leg and used Heal Pulse, undoing the bruise.

Cameron: Thanks.

Latias nodded and prepared for battle.

I sent out Milotic!

Cameron: Let's train for Sootopolis, Milotic! Good luck!

Milotic nodded and readied herself for anything unexpected.

Latias fired a Mist Ball!

Cameron: Use Dragon Tail!

Milotic's tail became riddled in dragon scales and slammed down, but Latias caught the attack with Psychic!

Cameron: Hydro Pump!

Milotic blasted a Hydro Pump at Latias, drenching the Dragon-type in water.

Latias looks at herself and begins to laugh.

To be honest, I was too amused and started laughing along!

Cameron: You are fun, Latias.

Latias blushed from my compliment.

Cameron: Sorry to ask, but can you lead to Sootopolis City? It's at least several miles from here.

Latias ransacked her memory and remembered where Sootopolis City is, flying away instantly!

Cameron: Come on! We can't lose it!

We all took off on our Flying-type Pokémon and followed Latias to Sootopolis City. Once we were above the city...

Cameron: Thank you, Latias!

Latias gave out a loud roar and flew away, roaming all of Hoenn...

May: We made it!

Cameron: Sootopolis City.

End of Chapter 36