Series 4 Chapter 18: Pouring Beach, Pouring Tears!

At Route 213, Prinplup and Elaine's Floatzel were having a race to see who was faster. From the way it looked, the race was heavily one-sided due to Floatzel's two tails!

Elaine: Great job, Floatzel! You've grown so much!

Floatzel happily accepted Elaine's praise. It actually opened up to her!

As we continued on to Pastoria City, Elaine was happy about how far she came with Floatzel. She often trained with it and talked about a lot of things.

Cameron: I'm glad you managed to get along with Floatzel, Elaine. You came along so much!

Elaine: I know! I hope me and Floatzel are friends forever!

As Floatzel agreed, it suddenly sensed something amiss. It ran away toward Pastoria City as we followed. In the town, we saw Floatzel waiting at the Great Marsh, a Safari Zone.

Elaine: The Great Marsh is a Safari Zone. Floatzel must be sensing something wrong here.

Cameron: Should we investigate?

Dawn: We might as well.

And so, we individually paid to enter the Great Marsh. The swampy ecosystem was very perfect for Grass-type Pokémon.

Elaine: Alright, Floatzel. Show us the way!

Floatzel led us to a large pond. When we examined it, a egg emerged from underwater.

Elaine: Hm?

Elaine picked up the egg and it immediately began to hatch. The Pokémon that emerged was completely unknown.

Dawn: This Pokémon must be extremely rare. We don't even know what it is!

Cameron: True. Can you find anything about it, Dawn?

Dawn: I'll have to try. I at least need a photo for reference.

After taking a photo of the unknown Pokémon, Dawn went to work deciphering its identity.

Cameron: So, now what?

Elaine: Let's see what this Pokémon knows about itself.

The Pokémon picks up a pencil and writes its name. It was very sloppy, but was overall readable.

Cameron: ...Phione?

The Pokémon nodded at my accuracy.

Elaine: That's your name?

Phione nodded!

Elaine: That's cute! I love your name!

Dawn: Hey, guys! I think I found something related to Phione. It is known as the Sea Drifter Pokémon. It drifts along sea currents.

Cameron: That's definitely useful! We may be able to figure out where Phione came from and ended up at the Great Marsh.

Riley: And we may be able to send it home.

Elaine was happy to help Phione, but didn't want to part from it. She didn't show it, but she was sad about sending Phione home.

Cameron: Do you really want to let Phione go?

Elaine: ...No. But I want to get it home. That's all that matters.

Cameron: Whatever you say.

And so, we returned to Route 213 and was about to release Phione into the ocean. Before we could, a few Team Galactic grunts appeared and saw Phione!

Grunt A: Hey, that's a rare Pokémon.

Grunt B: That might be worth a few bucks!

I immediately stepped between Phione and the Grunts.

Cameron: Fat chance. Dawn, help me out?

Dawn: On it!

Alongside Pikachu, Dawn sent out her Mr. Mime!

The two grunts sent out two Skorupi!

Both Grunts: Skorupi, Poison Sting!

The two Skorupi fired poisonous needles at our Pokémon!

Cameron: Pikachu, dodge it and use Iron Tail!

Dawn: Mr. Mime, Reflect!

Pikachu attacked one of the Skorupi with Iron Tail, while Mr. Mime blocked a Poison Sting with Reflect!

Cameron: Use Thunderbolt!

Dawn: Use Psychic!

Both Pokémon defeated the Skorupi! However, a third Grunt came from behind, taking Elaine and Phione hostage.

Grunt: Give up or these two get it!

We were officially at a standstill. Luckily, help came for us in the form of...Floatzel, who jumped out out of its Poké Ball to save its Trainer!

Floatzel froze the Grunt by biting his leg with Ice Fang! The other Grunts tried to subdue it, but Floatzel batted them away with Aqua Tail!

After Elaine escaped the Grunt, she held Phione before she let it go.

Elaine: Phione. I wish we could have had more time to spend with each other, but right now, your home is what matters. You need to find your parents.

And so, Elaine gently let Phione drift off into the sea. She watched as the little Pokémon floated away. When Elaine began to cry a little, Floatzel cuddled her to cheer her up.

Elaine: Thank you, Floatzel. You are a powerful Pokémon, and I'm lucky to have you on my team.

Floatzel wagged its tails as Elaine stroked its head.

Cameron: Alright. Now that Phione is back home, let's get back to our adventure, shall we?

As I reached out, Elaine accepted my hand as we set off back to Pastoria City.

End of Chapter 18