Series 4 Chapter 20: The Electrifying Ghost!

We still continued on to Hearthome City. As we were about to take a detour, it began to rain again.

Dawn: Again?!

Cheryl: We better find shelter.

We ran to a large mansion. It had neatly polished statues riddled around the garden.

Once we knocked in the door, a middle-aged man answered and happily let us in.

Mr. Backlot: I am Mr. Backlot. You all must be glad I answered the door.

Cameron: We sure are. We were on our way back to Hearthome City, but is it okay if we rest here until the rain stops?

Mr. Backlot: Of course! My home is your home. That saying goes for both people and Pokémon.

Riley: Pokémon as well?

Mr. Backlot: Yes. Through those back doors is the Trophy Garden. I made that area as a sanctuary for wild Pokémon. I also can let you catch any of the Pokémon that you like.

We opened the doors and walked into the Trophy Garden. The area was brimming with rare Pokémon Mr. Backlot took in. We explored the entire sanctuary, and Dawn took pictures of the Pokémon along the way for Professor Rowan's research. Cheryl and Dawn caught a Pokémon as well. Dawn caught a Snover, while Cheryl caught a Pachirisu. However, Elaine couldn't find a Pokémon that fit. Back in the mansion, Elaine petted Evo as she sat, lost in thought.

Cameron: You cool?

Elaine: Oh, yeah. I'm okay. I...just don't know what Pokémon fits me.

Cameron: Hey, don't mellow on that. You may have five Pokémon, but that doesn't mean they're not tough.

Elaine: True, but I feel like I want to catch up with you guys. You, Dawn and Cheryl have a full team, and I'm one Pokémon short.

Cameron: You'll find a Pokémon that suits you. I know you will!

Later that evening, Elaine sat in the Trophy Garden as she and her Pokémon played together. Me and Dawn were having a practice battle for fun. Staravia was easily dodging all of Luxray's Electric-type attacks! After the battle was over, Elaine was gone.

Cameron: Elaine? Where are you?

We heard a scream in the forest! Me and Dawn quickly set off to find Elaine! Staravia flew ahead to scout. When we saw Elaine, she was sitting with a Pokémon with lightning bolt arms and resembled a light bulb.

Pokédex: Rotom, the Plasma Pokémon. An Electric- and Ghost-type. Rotom pranks people by possessing appliances. The appliance it possesses can change its type as well!

Elaine: Nice to meet you, Rotom.

Rotom looked at us and happily hugged us, showing its trust.

Cameron: What's happening?

Elaine: Rotom was lonely, too. The other Pokémon didn't want to play with it because of it being Ghost-type. I decided to give it company.

Dawn: What about the scream?

Elaine: Rotom surprised me. That's why I screamed.

As I mellowed over how close Elaine and Rotom are, I saw what she was looking for.

Cameron: Elaine...what if you take Rotom along?

Elaine: Really?

Cameron: Yeah! What if Rotom was what you were looking for?

Elaine thought over her decision and took out a Poké Ball.

Elaine: Do you want to come with me, Rotom?

Rotom happily accepted and touched the Poké Ball. After three small vibrations, the catch was successful!

Elaine smiled and sent Rotom back out.

Elaine: Welcome to the team!

Rotom smiled as it entered Elaine's backpack and fell asleep.

The next day, the rain stopped.

Mr. Backlot: Come back anytime soon!

Cameron: We will! Thank you for letting us stay!

We waved Mr. Backlot farewell and got back on our trek to Hearthome City.

End of Chapter 20