Ch. 14: A Special Memory with a Special Friend!

Elaine and I were heading to Rock Tunnel, after our path to Route 11 to see more Water-types was thwarted by a sleeping Snorlax. We just returned to Cerulean City to head to Route 9.

Elaine: Hey, there's Misty!

We turned to Misty training at Route 24. I saw her Golduck, assuming that she must've been training hard since I beat her.

Cameron: Hey, Misty!

Misty waved at us as she recalled Golduck.

Misty: How's it going for you two? You saw my newly evolved Golduck.

Cameron: Yeah. What are you doing, anyway?

Misty: One of Kanto's Legendary Pokémon flew around here earlier today.

Elaine: Really? Which one?

Misty: Not sure. A thundercloud was suddenly above town. 10 minutes later, it disappeared.

Cameron: Zapdos.

Elaine and Misty were confused at my response.

Cameron: I read in my Pokédex that you can assume Zapdos's appearance in the area if a thundercloud crosses without rain.

Misty: True. I'm headed to Route 9 to find it. Coming with?

Cameron: Yeah. We were on our way there anyway.

Me, Elaine and Misty all went Route 9 to search for Zapdos. Pikachu sensed its presence by feeling a rise in electrical power, so we tracked it to the abandoned Power Plant.

Misty: Careful, everyone. That place is riddled with Electric-type Pokémon.

As we went in, we carefully navigated the area. After arriving to the Plant's power area...

Cameron: Pikachu still senses it. We may be close.

After we waited, Zapdos suddenly attacked us by sending out thunderbolts everywhere.

I sent out Butterfree, while Elaine used Evo and Misty went for Starmie.

Zapdos used a powerful Thunder!

Cameron: Butterfree, don't let it move! Use Psychic!

Butterfree summoned all of its psychic power to trap Zapdos in its tracks.

Cameron: Hit it with all you've got!

Elaine: Evo, use Shadow Ball!

Misty: Starmie, use Power Gem!

Both Pokémon unleashed their attacks, but Zapdos hit Butterfree with Peck, briefly flinching it. Zapdos, free from Butterfree's Psychic, dodged the attacks and uses Hurricane!

Everyone is hurled into the air as we were starting to get overwhelmed. I had an idea.

Cameron: Everyone! Use long-range attacks at the walls of the Hurricane!

The girls were confused but trusted my actions. I had Pikachu use Thunderbolt, and Evo used Swift, while Starmie attacked with Bubble Beam. The attacks ricocheted around the Hurricane until they hit Zapdos, weakening it long enough for us to escape.

After our escape, we thanked Misty for the adventure as she led us to Rock Tunnel.

Misty: Anything you need, you know where to go!

Elaine and I were going to enter Rock Tunnel, but Butterfree was focused on something.

Cameron: Butterfree, what's wrong?

I looked up as I saw a colony of other Butterfree. From the way it looked, they're migrating.

As I noticed, now I knew what Butterfree wanted.

Cameron: I know what you want, Butterfree. You want to migrate with your species, right?

Butterfree halfheartedly nodded.

Cameron: Don't worry. I'll be okay. Go on. Don't forget about me either.

Butterfree and I welled up with tears as we embraced in a goodbye hug.

After our goodbyes were finished, Butterfree flew away to follow the colony.

After seeing my sad state, Elaine decider to take a photo to remember each other when we eventually part ways for good.

I'm going to miss Butterfree, but I'll remember it for as long as I live...

End of Chapter 14