Chapter 44: Josephine's Debut Part 1

The two months that passed after truly the perfect birthday, were busy in the sense of taking more birthing classes, making sure to be stocked up on plenty of needed supplies and things to try and help Nikki relax as much as possible during the birth, things that we'd need after. Also, made sure to have overnight bags and a car seat, and baby bags for Josephine ready to go. Those two months were good ones though, our extended family i.e. Brad and Mick.... Well, we found out they were having a boy and we slowed things down for Nikki, especially who really needed it.

And then came November 15, 1988...the day Josephine was born. That date I'd eventually get tattooed on me somewhere as would my other children I'd have with Nikki. I could never ever forget that day, never forget how proud I was of Nikki, how the both of us were nervous and a bit scared yet there was the element of excitement, the anticipation of her arrival. I was worried though in the days leading up to her birth, Nikki talked less....and only grew more uncomfortable, and I did as I always did/do and just took care of him.... letting him lean on me....

My nerves are all over the place, a mix of excitement and a bit of fear, awe and worry over my poor husband, my Honeybee Nikki. Nikki who has barely spoken really this past week, he can't get comfortable no matter what we try and both of us know though that Josephine is on her way, due to arrive any time and we especially know because Nikki's belly is getting low and he's in more pain, like today. He's only moved to go to the bathroom, which I've made sure is sanitized i.e. the tub for the birth and all the supplies I need in easy reach, and I race into our bedroom to find Nikki in tears, clutching his well swollen stomach.... noting he's starting to panic, which makes ME panic.... but I calm for his sake and rush to his side.... vaguely aware its about 11 pm....

"Nikki? Baby, what's wrong?"

"C-Cramps been cramping awhile......back.... killing me.... pressure..." Nikki moans out. I try and rub his swollen stomach to help maybe give him some kind of relief.

"Oh baby, I know you've been miserable.... why didn't you tell me you'd been cramping baby?" Concerned.

"I—I... scared..." Nikki whispers, hanging his head until I gently tilt his chin up.

"Honeybee, I know you are.... I'm scared too, scared for you but I have faith in you, that you can do this and that I can deliver our child."

"C-Can...you.... help me to the bathroom? I really gotta pee...." Nikki trails off, freezing a moment, eyes widening in realization. "This means.... she's gotta be coming."

"It does..." I get choked up, "Now let me help get you to the bathroom..." I have the same feeling as Nikki does, so I carefully scooped him up and took him to our bathroom and no sooner than I set him on his feet than my eyes widen as a puddle starts growing at my husband's feet.

"W-Water broke...." Nikki moans tearfully.

"Yeah honeybee, I know.... let's get you cleaned up......our little girl is on her way." I strip Nikki of his underwear, clean the floor and Nikki opts to get in the tub for a bit to try and ease his pain, which he tells me isn't so bad.... yet. To attempt to make him more comfortable once, I get the tub filled with warm water....i pull his hair back into a ponytail with a bandana and carefully help him into it.

And it's not long after, he gets his first true contraction biting back a scream....as he reaches for me, reaches for my hand which i gladly give him.

"FUCK...."

"Let it out honeybee.... you got this.... you got this baby." I coach him through it, and it passes, and I make sure to start timing them and Nikki, my poor Nikki is in tears.

"J-Joe.... can.... You sing to me? Angel...song please?" Nikki clings to my hand and me as best he can, and I don't let go....as I start to sing, and it helps calm Nikki and for the moment forget his pain.......

Hours pass by, Nikki's contractions getting closer and more intense and at some point he gets out of the tub for a bit, he doesn't want to wear clothes and several times I change out his bandana, and I make sure to have plenty of ice on hand and ice water, fans going.....as Nikki clings to me and I check his progress and day breaks, and I am only vaguely aware. And more time passes, to where it getting to be mid-morning....and I check Nikki and realize, he's just about there and so I rush to get him in the tub, filling it with warm water and making sure I have everything I need in easy reach as I join Nikki, to where I can help birth our daughter....

"Nikki's...it's almost time. You've been doing so damn well, I'm proud of you and I love you, I need you to know that."

"I-I love.... you." Nikki cries and before I know it, its time for Nikki to push once I see and feel our Josephine's head.... he screams, he cries.... I cry too, but I can only love my husband even more for this.

Nikki leans back a moment or moments to catch his breath until I feel her body slide out and quickly I bring her above the water, my movements quick....anxious and tender, I manage to steady myself as I reach for and grab the suction, to clean out her air ways, and Nikki and I hold our breathes until Josephine's wails, her precious....precious cries echo thru the bathroom, and I am in awe....at the sight, the sound and how beautiful this moment is....as I hand her carefully to Nikki, as he cradles her to his chest......the cord is cut and our daughter continues to cry.

"You did it Nikki.... she's...she's HERE and so beautiful....so beautiful. So are YOU.... Oh honeybee, I am so fucking proud of you."

"I.... couldn't have done it without you Joe. And.... i did this...WE did.... its.... its I have no words to describe how much this means to me." Tears stream down his face and mine and Josephine's cries are reduced to fussing. Nikki soon passes the afterbirth; I once more change out his bandana.... cleaning him off, our daughter off, making sure to have her bundled as well as making sure she is safe and secure and somewhere in all this I call the ambulance and soon they arrive, Nikki holding our daughter to his chest, as they check him and Josephine over quickly. I remember to grab the bags and soon we are off to the hospital and Nikki, and I admire our little girl, who is calm now....

"She...Oh Nikki! She has your hair and my lips.... I see you and I see me in her little face. She is the most beautiful baby....and you...you look STUNNING Nikki." I smile tearfully, before I manage to kiss my husband, I feel him smile into it, though I can feel and see how exhausted he is. I then kiss Josephine's little forehead and it is this that causes her to open her little eyes and I gasp, she has Nikki's stunning emerald orbs...., "Hey Josephine...its...its daddy.... Mommy and I have been waiting to meet you little flower. Welcome to the world Josephine Nicole Perry." Softly and tearfully.

"She's a little heartbreaker already..." Nikki says fondly, as Josephine's eyes shift to her mother, "Hey sweetheart.... I'm a mommy, I am YOUR mommy and the man that helped bring you into this world is your daddy, the greatest and most loving man I have ever known. My other half." Josephine coos at this and I will never forget this day.... this moment or any of it, EVER.

I never have forgotten, all that Nikki and I experienced.... every moment, every sound.... every feeling from that day, I still recall very well all these years later. Where you next find Nikki and I and our precious Josephine is at the hospital and I will go ahead and tell you, my husband and daughter were perfectly healthy....

A/N: Josephine Nicole Perry is born!! Stay tuned for part 2 to this!!