Chapter 66: 1990-1993 (A Retrospective Part 2)

-1993-

1993 was the best and worst year of my life, the best of course referring to my beloved Honeybee Nikki and our then two children: Josephine and little Amara. The worst, of course, is or was DEANA and what that evil, vile, cruel bitch did to my oldest daughter, did to MY family....fucked with us all in the worst way and we learned that by some 'miracle' ( scoffs) she got out of jail, spread her legs....bribed, just to HURT us and at a time when it was the holidays, Christmas season which was Josephine's favorite holiday and the fear, the pain and the aftermath of what happened literally the day after Nikki's 35th birthday.

Before I get more into that, let's go back to the beginning of the year starting January of 93', a huge New Years Day gathering held at Steven Tyler's and Vince's house, which I was seriously relieved...I was and still am friends with him, but I didn't trust him in my house but doesn't mean I didn't prank him in his own home. Laughter, food, arguing.... ya know FAMILY something I'd always longed for and needed, wanting one of my own and never could I have imagined the family, I would make...that all of us, would become one big family. The kids ran around like crazy; it was beautiful chaos and I loved seeing my oldest daughter especially interacting with the other children, coming out of her shell. And she included her little sister Amara as well, Amara had to go wherever Josephine went which was cute....

And before I knew it, New Years 93' passed, and then came the release of 'Get A Grip' in June of that year, photo sessions, a movie appearance in 'Wayne's World Two' where Nikki also made a cameo, releasing singles, music videos, I mean you name it, we did it. It was busy, but I made sure my husband and my children came first. And a tour was planned for the following year during the summer of 94', and spoiler alert.... Nikki would end up pregnant with triplets, yes triplets during that tour and of course, Josephine and Amara were with us....and that's all I will say for now....

So many memories I have of 1993, my soulmate at the center of them, as well as my children....and Josephine's and Amara's milestones stand out. For instance, Josephine is learning not just to read, but to read music. So, I started to teach her guitar.... special daddy-daughter time, which meant so much to her. And it's something like one-on-one time Nikki and I always made a point to do with each of our children as much as we could and of course there were family activities. But ah yes, I was thrilled to teach Josephine who took to it like a fish to water and after her kidnapping, slight spoiler alert I'd gift her with one of her own guitars which was a favorite of hers from my collection.... I did it to do something special, to cheer her up, to see her sweet smile, if only for a moment. I did it for HER. And how it came about, is I'd woken up in the middle of the night and I found her downstairs in our studio with said guitar, she'd told me she couldn't sleep and had a nightmare, and this was just 2 days before Christmas.

Josephine's other milestones in addition to what I have told you, was learning to write....and the way she always took care of her little sister, and the way she took care of Nikki and i. As for Amara? Her learning to crawl, and the day in question occurred when Aerosmith was, I believe doing an interview and Nikki who'd brought our then two girls with us, had been playing with them nearby and Amara crawled fast, and crawled onto or rather into our interview....it was the most adorable moment ever. And then there was her baby speak, her always having to be where Josephine was and, on her birthday...that September 5, 1993, date she took off WALKING, running just like her older sister had done. Floored Nikki and I, our babies were growing up TOO damn fast. I am proud of both of my eldest daughters, of ALL my children....

Before I forget there were Amara's first words: Mama, followed by da-da and sissy which were all said in the same day in succession one after the other.

And our family at large continued to thrive, to grow.... life was good, I was the happiest I'd ever been, only falling more in love with Nikki.... i loved being a husband, being a father.... living my greatest dreams.

Then of course came the holidays, Christmas you've got some idea or ideas on that but for now I want to talk about Halloween and Thanksgiving. Halloween: Things with Aerosmith had begun to settle, our 'off' season if you will. So for Halloween, I'd had the house decorated with pumpkins....taking the girls to a pumpkin patch to pick them out, making new and special memories and Nikki and I took them trick or treating for the first time and Josephine wore a bee costume and Amara wore a baby sized matching one and SO many pictures were taken, and still picture or no....i SEE it, every moment of that day, that night.

Thanksgiving was a quieter affair. Just Nikki, I, Josephine, and Amara spending the day together. At the time we'd already had a 'Friendsgiving' the week before but on the actual day, I remember Josephine being eager to help wanting to cook and of course there were the Italian twists on the food. She was messy, so was Amara doing her version of helping and I'd have had it no other way. Before we ate both girls had to have baths, and they were only the first ones of the day. I miss those days, those messes so much....and I know Nikki does too.

Josephine turned 5, 5! How the hell had it been five years since Nikki had given birth to her at that point in time. Her birthday on November 15, 1993, was an epic milestone. Surrounded by family and friends, she was so happy....so happy and little did we know what was gonna happen to her, to our family and how devastating and scary it was...the aftermath that would occur literally the day after Nikki's 35th birthday took place....

Still fucking gives me chills to this day to think about, I remember the morning in question as if I could ever forget. Nikki wanted to take her to school, so they could have their special time together...Amara was taking a morning nap at the time, and I remember how Nikki blamed himself when we learned she was missing and we realized Deana took Josephine telling me, "Joe how the fuck could I let this happen? How the fuck could that bitch take away our precious little angel, to take away our heart.... i never should have taken her to school, she would still be here, here with us." To which I replied despite my own tears, "this was not your fault you hear me? No lie, you didn't know this would happen, neither did I but I hear you babe. It doesn't make it hurt any less, we will find her, bring her home and make that evil bitch PAY for what she's done. Josephine will come back to us, come back to us...."

So, where you next find us is December 12, 1993, and the day all hell broke loose....

A/N: Sadly, we are arriving at the much dreaded return which will start in the next chapter. More to come soon!