25

I was outside with Daryl, watching him fix his bike when Axel came over.

"Double cylinder. Is that a triumph?" Axel asked.

"Don't even look at it." Daryl said, not looking up from his bike. Then he tried to start it.

"It sounds like it could use a tune-up I know bikes, I had a few of my own before I came in here." Axel said. Axel seems like a chill guy but we can't take any chances with strangers.

"Man, will you just stop?" Oscar said, behind me. I jumped and fell on my butt. Daryl came over and helped me up.

"Are you alright Maddie?" He asked, worried. I love when Daryl worries about me, it's sweet.

"Yeah I'm fine." I replied, rubbing my butt. "I'll be right back Daryl, I'm going to go inside and see how the others are doing." I told him. He nodded his head and went back to working on his bike. I walked in and saw Hershel using the crutches.

"You're already balancing on those Hershel." I said. "Better than I did when I broke my leg." I added.

"Yeah and now let's lay you back down." Lori said.

"I'm fine, let's go take a stroll." Hershel said.

"Let him take a stroll, he'll be fine." I said, before walking back outside.

I saw Rick doing something and Daryl was with him. I sat down on the step and just watched them working even though my mind was somewhere else. I saw Hershel getting more used to the crutches with the help of Carol and Lori.

I started remembering before the apocalypse when I was alone with my father. He abused me especially when he was drunk. When Daryl found out about it, he took me away from there and we stayed in a cabin until the apocalypse started. I didn't notice that I was crying until I saw Daryl running over to me.

"Maddie! What's the matter?!" He asked, obviously worried. I tried to answer him but couldn't. He pulled me closer to him and rubbed my back up and down to help calm me down.

"What's going on?" Rick asked, worried.

"I don't know, she won't tell me." Daryl responded. "I'm going to take her to her cell and let her relax." He said, picking me up. He put me on my bed and I started calming down. "Are you okay Maddie?" He asked, softly.

"I was just remembering what our father did and I guess I just started crying because of it." I said.

"It's alright, I'm here and I'll keep you safe from anything that could happen." He assured.

"Thank you Daryl, but don't worry I'll be fine." I said. "I don't know why I was remembering that and I wish I didn't." I added.

"I'll always be here if you need me Maddie." He said, walking out and went back to working.