171

We stayed at Carl's grave and mourned his death for a bit longer. I heard walkers approaching and I limped over and killed them. It was daylight outside and I was looking at Alexandria and all that looked back was buildings that were destroyed. I turned and saw Rick grabbing a walkie from a dead Savior. I limped my way to the house we stayed in which wasn't destroyed. I looked down and saw the blue hand prints that Carl, Judith, and Liam made on the porch.

I felt like crying again but I don't have any tears left. I heard walkers make their way over and I went inside. I saw Rick in the kitchen grabbing things.

"Rick, we have to go." I said, putting my hand on his shoulder. We walked out with bags and loaded them in the back of a van. I went to close one of the doors, I saw the burning building. Rick put his hand on my shoulder.

"Hey." Rick said. I looked at him and wrapped my arms around him. He wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my back.

"We used to sit on the roof." I said, looking at him.

"We have to go." Rick said. I pulled away and grabbed an extinguisher and started doing a sort of limp run towards the building. I started putting the fire out and Rick joined me. "Maddie!" Rick shouted. I turned and saw a walker close to me and I hit it in the head with the extinguisher. "Maddie." He said. I ignored him and continued trying to put the fire out. "Maddie!" He shouted. I stopped and limp ran again and Rick put his arm around my waist and helped me run to the car and we got inside.

We started driving away from Alexandria. When we drove past the wall, I took one last look at the sign then turned back around.

"What do you think he meant? Did he want us to stop fighting the Saviors? Just surrender to Negan?" Rick asked.

"We could read the letter he wrote us." I said.

"No. Not me, not yet." Rick said. I started looking through the paper looking for mine and I came across one.

"Rick." I said. "H-He wrote one...for Negan." I said.

"I need to talk to Jadis." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"They have weapons...people. We can't just give that up." He told me.

"But Rick, why now? I need a doctor to stitch up my leg." I said.

"They went with me to the Sanctuary. The Saviors saw us there, they're going to be a target too." He said. "We still need them. They're ours not theirs." He added.

"Okay but if they're with us, they're going to need to stitch my wound." I said. He nodded his head and we came to a stop. We got out and walked through some kind of dumpster thing. We saw the door opened a bit and Rick walked through first with his gun out. When the opened further, we heard something above us and looked up to see things starting to fall.

Rick grabbed me and we moved out of the way and watched the stuff fall, blocking the entrance. We heard then saw walkers. We quickly started moving the things away from the door.

"Damnit." Rick said. I already had my gun out and ready to shoot if needed. We saw that it was the scavengers. We started shooting them while pushing past them. I was ignoring the pain in my leg since we had to try to get out of here.

"We've got to climb." I said. We then started climbing with me leaving a blood trail. We got to the top and look back down.

"Rick." A woman said. We turned and saw who I assume is Jadis.

"What happened here?" I asked.

"First, who are you?" She asked.

"Maddie. Now what happened?" I replied.

"Saviors." She said.

"How do we get out?" I asked.

"Get out...the same way you got in." She said. Damnit. "These weren't heaps before. It was just trash laid out as far as the eye could see. I used to come here to find things to paint on. Metal, sheets, fabric, and then after everything changed. I realized this whole place was a canvas. That we were the paint, we could create something new, we could become something new." She said. "We did. This was our world, apart from everyone else, in every way." She added.

"You did this. This is because of you." Rick said, before picking something up.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, a bit confused.

"We're going to run for it." Rick said.

"Let me come with you. Just until they're gone." Jadis said.

"Nah. I'm done with her games, she can't help us anyway. Come on." Rick said, handing me something to use as a shield. He started walking away and I was kinda sad but maybe he's right. I then followed him. We dropped the shields and made our way to where we came in through. Rick helped me through and I heard Jadis speak.

"Wait! Please! Just let me get out!" Jadis shouted. Rick aimed at her then shoot above her head. He then came through and we made our way back to the car.