178

About a week went by and I was able to walk without the crutches but I still had to have a bandage on my leg and I still had a limp. I still have a bandage on the spot I got shot and it still hurt like hell but it's nothing I can't deal with. I was in the bedroom, looking at the letter Carl gave me and I was tearing up even though I didn't even unfold it yet. I finally started reading it and the tears started falling. I heard someone walk into the room and I looked to see Rick. He walked over and wiped the tears away with his thumbs.

"Do you want to read it?" I asked. He shook his head no then walked to the closet and grabbed his jacket. "You're going out?" I asked.

"I have to. We need food so I'm going to go find some." He said.

"Did you read yours yet?" I asked.

"I can't." He said, tearing up.

"You have to." I said. "He wrote that because he wanted you to read it. It's one of the last things he did. You're staying." I said, grabbing his jacket out of his hand. I put it down on the bed and walked back to him. I pulled him into a hug and he hugged me back. "I know you don't want to but please read it for him." I said.

"Okay." He said, pulling away.

"I'll be outside if you need me." I said, smiling at him slightly. He nodded his head and I walked out of the room then went outside. I saw Alden and walked to him. He saw me and smiled a bit.

"Maddie, right?" He asked.

"Right." I said.

"I'm sorry for what they did to you. I didn't he know he was going to shoot you." He said.

"Don't worry about it, it's not your fault. It's not the first time I've been shot." I said. "But it was the first time getting shot in the neck though." I added.

"First time for everything, right?" He said, chuckling.

"Yeah I guess so. So, why did you stay? Not that I want you to leave but it might take awhile for us to trust you because you were with Saviors." I said.

"I saw that we meant nothing to Negan and Simon. So why go back to them?" He said. That makes since.

"That makes sense. Now I better let you get back to work before you get in trouble." I said.

"Okay bye Maddie." He said, going back to work. I turned and walked away. I saw Daryl and went to him. I stayed with him and helped him with what he needed and I didn't notice an hour passed by. I went looking for Rick but I couldn't find him anywhere.

I looked everywhere inside the house and the trailers. I looked all around outside but he was nowhere to be found. I walked over to Alden and he saw me

"Alden, have you seen Rick?" I asked.

"Earlier he came asking me where the group that escaped would most likely go. Why?" He asked.

"Shit! He went out there looking for them." I said.

"I didn't think he was going to go out there but maybe he went a few other people." He said.

"I sure hope so. If he went by himself, he could get himself killed." I said.

"I'm sure he's okay Maddie." He assured.

"I know but I can't help but worry." I said. "Well, thank you for telling me." I said.

"No problem." He said, walking away with the bucket he had in his hand. I sighed and walked back to the house to relax for a bit while worrying about Rick.

It turned dark and Rick was still out there. I was outside holding Liam. I was sitting at the entrance of a tent with a crying Liam in my lap.

"It's okay Liam. Daddy will be back soon, okay?" I said, hoping that's true. "Shhh." I said, bouncing him on my leg.

The gate started opening and I looked up and two people walked in. I saw Rick and I stood up, walking to him with Liam. Once Liam saw him, he stopped crying. I came up in front of him and looked at him. I hugged him with my free arm and he hugged me back.

"I'm glad you're okay Rick." I said. "So is Liam. We were worried about you." I added.

"I'm sorry I left without telling you." He said.

"Don't worry, I understand why but please just tell me next time." I said.

"I will." He said.