5.16 Uncaught - First-Graders

"Okay?"

"What I have done to your daughter is inexcusable. I want you to know that I'm very sorry about..."

"Oh, you don't need to apologize", Mom stepped in.

"But I do! You were right with EVERYTHING you told me yesterday. It was mind-boggling. I had had already a busy day when suddenly this first-grader had a diarrhea attack in class. The janitor had called in sick so I not only had to 'take care' of the boy, but also his chair and the floor where he left traces all the way to the restrooms. I don't want to make excuses, but simply let you know that I wasn't harsh on purpose. Suddenly this girl...your girl...I mean Lyza...had dropped to the floor and when her teacher told me that Lyza had made a mess, too, I guess I just lost it. I am so sorry. Be sure that I will never forgive myself for what I did!", the nurse explained and you could see her being relieved after telling Mom about it. There was a long pause after that.

"I'm okay, you don't need to worry", I broke the silence and smiled at her.

"And I totally understand why it happened. You had a bad day. Everyone has every once in a while. It wasn't okay, but you made up for it. And I guess yesterday you helped her out, too", Mom explained.

"Even got me the clothes from Mr. Jentz. She was really nice to me", I added smiling.

"And I could already tell by the way she fought for you yesterday. My daughter likes you and most importantly trusts you again. That's literally all I want", Mom finished her thoughts. Then her eyes went back to the diaper package which made me nervous again.

"Oh sorry, there was no time to put them away, yet", Mrs. Osmond apologized and took them.

"Wait a moment", Mom stopped her and took a closer look at them. I tried to carry it off well.

"They are pull-ups, Mrs. Anderson", the nurse added.

"I know. But I'm surprised how large they are. They are a bit big for first-graders"

"Yes, I have a pack in an other size for those", the nurse explained and opened the cabinet containing diapers among other things.

"Wow, I didn't know you had teens who still needed diapers", Mom wondered and I wished the ground would open. Mrs. Osmond looked a bit confused at me.

"Well, I even had to backfill because I was out of the big ones after I gave the last two of them to...", she finally stopped confused after I heavily shook my head and was really close to putting my hand on her mouth.

"That's actually none of our business", Mom herself put a stop on it. I was relieved.

"Oh, you're right. Sorry", the nurse excused herself.

"However. Lyza and I want to invite you for dinner. We'd like you to come over"

"Yeah, Mom's a great chef", I added gladly after they finally changed subjects.

"Oh, that's nice of you. Today?", Mrs. Osmond asked.

"Well, I haven't thought about a day, yet. But why not", Mom declared and I sure as hell didn't like that. Today was the big day of my confession. Or could Gloria even be my support?

"Okay. Lyza, what's your favorite dish?", the nurse wanted to know.

"It's lasagna, but we already had that yesterday. I could roast some meat though", Mom returned.

"No, I want Lyza to have her favorite meal. So I guess we'll just have dinner on another day then. This way you also don't need to hurry"

"Then I'd say we'll have it on Sunday, okay?", Mom suggested and I hastily nodded.

"Perfect! I'm really looking forward to it", Mrs. Osmond smiled.

"I hope you like lasagna, too", I said, but the sound of the school bell disturbed our joy.

"Oh no, Lyza, you have to go!", the nurse quickly determined and got to the door. We followed her.

"You two can still continue the talk without me", I offered and hoped that Mrs. Osmond got, that I didn't want Mom to know about the diaper thing ^^ But my fear didn't last long.

"No, I'm gonna get you to your class so you won't get into trouble, Lyza", Mom declared.

"Okay, then thank you for the invitation, Mrs. Anderson", the school nurse said.

"Mrs. Osmond, you can call me Sylvia"

"Then I'm Gloria for you"

"See you Sunday, Gloria!", Mom waved goodbye with a smile and pushed me out of the door.

"Bye Mrs. Osmond!", I barely managed to shout before Mom closed the door.