5.67 Uncaught - Reading Glasses

The closer I got to home the more nervous I became. The final steps to the front door were especially unnerving. When I entered through the door I actually saw no one.

"MOM!? I'm home"

"Living room...", she answered from that direction, but didn't make a move. I went into the living room and saw her sitting on the couch reading in a cookbook.

"Hi, how are you and how was your day so far?", I tried to get a chat going. She looked up from her book without taking off her reading glasses.

"I'm fine, thanks. I went to the grocery store and got us steaks. It's been a while we grilled. And I also got us cheese to put on top", she told me with a wink.

"Oh, that sounds delicious. And you want to add something? Because you're reading the book I mean..."

"Yeah, I want to try a recipe for a sauce and one for a salad to eat along, honey"

"Wow, I'm looking forward to it"

"And yourself? I mean how are you?"

"Fine, too..."

"And your day?"

"Well, boring...", I tried to fend her off and saw her raise an eyebrow in return before her eyes went back to her book. I wanted to say something, but didn't know how. Suddenly everything was gone. Maybe I should just continue doing it on my own and not tell her about it?

"Something else, Lyza?", Mom asked me while I was still trying to sort things out and noticed she had called me by my first name. Uh-oh! ^^ Joke aside, I knew I couldn't continue like before even if I wanted. But I'd need backup.

"Are you okay with a friend coming over?"

"Sure. Are we talking about Magnus?", Mom wanted to know and I became a bit unsure.

"No, it's actually a she. I'll introduce you two when she gets here"

"She will join us for dinner then?"

"I honestly got no clue, Mom"

"No problem. I'll make enough so we can eat two days from it. So a guest does not pose a challenge", she told me with a wink before continuing to read.

"Thank you", I got out before quickly leaving the room and running up the stairs. It upset me that Mom hadn't even gotten up to embrace me. So the more I was needing Jane now and dialed her number.

"LYZA, ready to go?", Jane asked enthusiastically which took me by surprise.

"Er...yes. And are you ready?"

"But of course!"

"And what about John?"

"John?...oh don't worry, my neighbor looks after him. I've got plenty of time!"

"Wow...then I guess you should just come over...", I stammered and told her the address.

"Alright, I'll be there in 10 minutes. And Lyza?"

"Yeah?"

"Easy!"

"Okay, I'll try. Thank you, Jane", I chuckled and we hung up.

I started undressing my jeans and shirt when I heard a knock on my door. I hadn't even noticed Mom coming up the stairs. Avoiding disgrace I quickly grabbed my gray slacks and pulled them up.

"Yeah, Mom!? Come in!", I announced while I also put on a black top hiding the waistband of my green panties. She entered the door and looked a bit nervous.

"Thanks, hun"

"Do you need help with the salad?"

"The salad?...oh no...that's not why I'm...", she stammered and looked a bit lost.

"Oh, is there something on your mind?"

"I thought we should talk...I mean...I wanted to talk to you and I guess it would be best if we did that before your guest arrived"

"I see...I mean...if you want to...and what is it about?"

"I think you know that...", Mom left it unspoken and I tried to remember my day.

"I need a moment I'm afraid...", I told her, but she didn't miss a beat.

"Well, for one I wanted to tell you again, how proud I am of what you did to save your teacher. The eyes of your classmates and Mrs. Henry told the whole story"

"Thank you, Mom. We were visiting him today, you know? It looks like he'll be out of the hospital by tomorrow"

"Oh, that's great! I guess he was thankful, too"