Training

The duel between Snape and Sasuke was the talk of all Hogwarts. Along with the smiles both of them wore during the fight, all the fifth-year students understood the importance of Professor Snape's teachings by seeing him in action. They were dueling on equal footing.

As Sasuke made his way to the Room of Requirement, he realized he was being followed. Quickly ducking into a corridor, he vanished from his pursuer's sight, who then became visible, looked around for Sasuke, but eventually gave up.

The pursuer had no idea Sasuke was hanging upside down from the ceiling. When Sasuke saw it was a house-elf, he made a mental note to deal with that later.

Upon entering the Room of Requirement, Sasuke saw both teams. He noticed how they stopped talking and figured they were discussing the duel, as there were two witnesses: Ginny and Astoria.

Sasuke: Well, let's see how far you've come.

The duel began, with all six of them against Sasuke.

Sasuke raised his wand and summoned six fireballs.

The six shouted "Aguamenti," and both spells canceled each other out.

Draco and Daphne cast non-verbal spells, while the others watched to see how Sasuke would react.

He blocked them easily, but following the non-verbal spells came four stunning spells.

With no time to block them, Sasuke simply ducked and cast the non-verbal spell "Silencio" on Ginny. When nothing seemed to happen, she thought Sasuke had failed.

As the others continued to attack, Sasuke used his speed to run around the room. When he got close to Ginny, he cast "Petrificus Totalus."

Ginny tried to shout "Protego," but her voice didn't come out. The spell hit her squarely, and she collapsed to the ground.

Luna: The previous spell didn't fail. It was a non-verbal incantation.

Draco: Luna, cast the counter-curse!

They got distracted, giving Sasuke the chance to stun Luna.

Sasuke: Four left.

The four grouped together, defending themselves to avoid any openings.

Sasuke: Serpensortia duo.

Two white snakes appeared, ready to strike.

Sasuke: Not enough, he said, pointing at the snakes. Engorgio.

The snakes grew to the size of trolls.

Draco: How are we supposed to fight that?

Daphne: I can't think of a spell to beat them.

Zacharias: Reducio, he said, shrinking one of them. He tried to shrink the other one— Reducio.

Astoria pointed her wand at the snakes.

Astoria: Vipera Evanesca.

As the snakes vanished, they realized Sasuke was nowhere in sight. That's when a voice came from behind them.

Sasuke: It's over.

They turned around to see about thirty snakes rushing toward them. They managed to make a few of them disappear, but there were too many. In the end, everyone, including the unconscious ones, was entangled by the snakes.

After the snakes disappeared, everyone sat up.

Sasuke: Do you know why you failed?

Draco/Daphne: We panicked at the giant snakes and forgot we could shrink them.

Zacharias/Astoria: We took too long to think, letting you surround us and summon more snakes.

Ginny: I underestimated your spell. When nothing happened, I didn't give it enough importance. Now I understand the significance of non-verbal spells better.

Luna: I focused my attention on Ginny. I should've asked the others to cover me while I lifted the curse.

Sasuke: You also stayed in one place. That makes you easy targets. You need to keep moving. That's why I stressed improving your physical endurance. And you need to grasp the importance of non-verbal spells.

They all nodded, acknowledging their mistakes.

Sasuke: In the next session, we'll work on non-verbal spells and continue endurance and reflex training.

In the end, they all left the room and headed to their dorms. On the way to the dungeons, Sasuke, along with Draco, Astoria, and Daphne, entered the common room. They saw most of their classmates gathered in front of the notice board. As they approached, they saw what the excitement was about:

APPARITION CLASSES

If you are 16 years old and will turn 17 before or on August 31st, you are eligible to take Apparition classes. The course lasts two weeks and will be taught by an instructor appointed by the Ministry of Magic. Please sign below if you wish to participate. The fee is 12 galleons.

After reading it, Sasuke signaled Draco, indicating he wanted to talk privately.

Sasuke: Draco, I need to borrow your Dark Arts book for a while.

Draco: How does he know about that book? he thought.

Draco: I don't know about any...

Sasuke: Don't lie. I know you have it.

Draco, still unsure, handed over the book. Sasuke took it and skimmed through it.

Sasuke: Have you managed to perform the Unforgivable Curses yet?

Draco: Not yet.

Sasuke: Hmm, I'll keep this for a while.

Draco: Are you going to teach us how to use them?

Sasuke: Yes, but first I need to master them myself. Then, I'll create a plan to teach you all. You've had the book and practiced, but you haven't succeeded, so I figure there must be some trick to it.

Sasuke withdrew to his room, where he picked up a mirror and called Minister Bones.

Amelia: Good evening, Sasuke. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Sasuke: How are things going?

Amelia: All is well. The mercenaries will arrive this weekend, as requested. They're all foreigners and share the same surname as the Muggle-borns killed during the First War against You-Know-Who.

Sasuke: Excellent. As for the payment, send the galleons to my house. I'll take care of it. Also, send someone to exchange for Muggle money at Gringotts.

Amelia: Muggle money from Gringotts?

Sasuke: The goblins only care about gold and precious stones. Muggle paper is worthless to them. There's probably a vault full of it somewhere, or they recycle it.

Amelia: Understood.

Sasuke: I also need you to send a recommendation for me to join the Apparition classes at Hogwarts.

Amelia: Of course. I'll mention you to the instructor and send an authorization.

Sasuke: That's all. Good night.