Protect Me (And Maybe Fall In Love With Me?)

--Prompt by MushyandDosh--

Draco flinches as he is shoved out of someone's way for the sixth time today. He shudders at the violent touch and stops walking.

"Fucking Death Eater scum," Ron mutters as he keeps walking. 

Draco squeezes his eyes shut. At the beginning of the year, he had apologized to everyone he had ever tormented. Ron was one of those who didn't take it as kindly.

It wasn't as though Draco didn't deserve it, he just wished they weren't so cruel.

He feels a hand yanking on the back of his shirt, and a second later, he's pressed against the wall with a wand pointed against his throat.

"I want you out of the school in a week, or I swear to Merlin I'll kill you," Zacharias hisses. 

Draco feels his heart beating faster than normal. "I haven't done anything this year."

"I don't care. I want you out. You have a fucking week." Zacharias shoves him back against the wall so hard his head hits it, and fires a curse at him before leaving.

Draco covers his mouth to hide his scream as his legs are enveloped in the feeling of burning. It takes a torturous moment before he can remember the countercurse.

He isn't thinking straight, just walking shakily. He isn't fully aware of where he's going until he's inside the eighth year dorm and collapsing into Harry Potter's arms.

"Help me," he whispers through tears.

***********

Harry stares at the boy in his arms, shocked.

"Malfoy?" he asks in a disbelieving voice.

Malfoy doesn't answer. He's shaking too hard and crying too hard and Harry's starting to worry the boy is having a panic attack.

"Hey, hey, hey." He pushes Malfoy back slightly, lifting up his head. He notices a bruise just below the boy's jawline, but decides that's a question for later. "Focus on breathing, okay? I've got you."

Malfoy just shakes his head. "He'll kill me," he gasps out.

Harry frowned. He? "Voldemort is dead, you're safe."

Malfoy laughed, a brittle, scary sound. "Safety is an illusion. And I know Voldemort's dead."

"Then who are you talking about?" Harry is concerned. He's never seen Malfoy so... raw.

"Smith. He said I have a week," Malfoy whispered.

"A week to what?"

"To get out."

Harry is filled with rage instantly. "He said what?"

Malfoy flinches slightly at the edge to Harry's voice. Harry relaxes immediately.

"Excuse me for a moment," he says quietly, and walks out of the Common Room.

He is aware of the fact that Malfoy is following him, but chooses to ignore it.

He storms into the Great Hall, briefly scanning the Hufflepuff table before his eyes land on his target.

He marches up to the Hufflepuff table. A sixth year looks up and seems like he's about to say something before he sees the look in Harry's eyes and shuts up instantly.

"Smith." Harry's voice has a harsh edge to it, and everyone at the Hufflepuff table looks up in surprise. 

Zacharias looks up, a lazy grin on his face quickly disappearing. "Harry."

"What right do you have to be harassing and threatening other students?"

McGonagall catches his eye, but she simply sits back in her chair and grins, sipping her tea and watching the show.

"It was Malfoy," Zacharias says lazily, his grin returning. "He doesn't mean shit."

The words have barely escaped his mouth when his cup explodes.

"Holy mother of- what the fuck, Potter?" Smith shrieks, jumping away from the table.

"You think you have any right to be determining who means shit and who doesn't, Smith?" Harry growls, wand pointed at the terrified boy. "Well I can tell you right now which side of the spectrum you're on, and it's not good, asshole." With that, he sends a jet of purple light towards Smith, which sends the Hufflepuff six feet in the air and crashing down again. 

"Don't ever fucking touch Draco again," Harry hisses. "I could have done a lot worse."

With that, he leaves the Great Hall, Draco running behind him.

"Harry, you didn't have to do that," the blonde says desperately. "Really, it was stupid to come to you with my problems, you can just forget about it."

"Oh no, Draco." Harry spins around, a slightly crazy grin on his face. "You have it all wrong. I'm not fucking forgetting about this."

He spins his wand between his fingertips. "I'm your fucking guardian angel now, blondie."

************************* 

Being taunted is something Draco is quite used to, but he just wishes Ron wouldn't do it so often.

"Fucking Death Eater can't fight his own battles," Ron says, voice biting as he casts another Stinging Hex at Draco. "Voldemort can't protect you anymore, huh?"

The light above Ron's head shatters.

"Maybe not, but I will."

Draco's eyes stare past Ron at Harry.

He wonders if it's impossible to be in love with someone after hating them for seven years, because after seeing fury-filled green eyes through a rainfall of glass, how could he not?

Harry casts hex after wicked hex at Ron, who is still slightly frozen in shock at his own best friend attacking him.

"Harry, what the fuck are you doing?" Ron shouts.

"If you come within 100 feet of Draco, I will personally make you wish you were dead," Harry replies coldly, walking past his ex-friend and helping Draco off the floor. "C'mon, Draco."

"So you're best friends with a Death Eater now?"

"At least I'm not friends with a bitch!" Harry responds as another light shatters. 

Ron screams insults at them as they walked away.

****************************

"Why are you protecting me?" Draco asks once they're far enough away from Ron.

"Maybe I feel bad for you. Maybe I'm in love with you. Maybe it's the savior complex. Maybe I wanna be your friend," Harry replies casually as they walk.

"What was that middle one?"

"Maybe it's the savior complex?" Harry asks innocently, eyes wide.

"No. The other one."

"Maybe I feel bad for you?"

"The one about being in love with me, idiot."

"Well, I don't fall in love with people who call me an idiot, so it can't be that." Harry's eyes are mischevious. 

"Harry!"

Harry laughs lightly.

"Maybe if you stop calling me idiot, I'll protect you forever."

"And maybe fall in love with me?"

"Maybe."