chapter eighty;

October 3, 1975
Roger's POV

I think today was the day, the day I propose to Maddie.

I knocked on Freddie's door once again, he was over the whole cupboard thing by now.

"Rog darling, what can I help you with?" He asked. I came in and paced around the room.

"Today's the day," I told him.

"Oh my goodness Roger! That's great! Tell Maddie your date it at 8, just like your first date. I will have everything prepared by then." He said.

"Thank you so much Fred, you're such a big help. I'm sorry about the whole cupboard thing-" I said awkwardly.

"Oh no darling it's alright, I honestly too would probably do something outrageous like that," he laughed.

We talked about the plan a bit more until Freddie went downstairs and called off recording for today. He went downstairs and started making sandwiches like we had on our first date. There was a cupboard of wine, and Freddie happened to find the exact kind he sent me with on our first date. Everything was coming along perfectly.

6:30 pm
Maddie's POV

I had just woken up from a long nap I took. Shit, I wasn't planning on being asleep for that long.

When I sat up I turned on the lamp, then something caught my attention.

It was a note that read:

I know you brought that black dress you wore on our first date. Wear that and meet me under the tree by the pond at eight.

Oh god was this going to be like my birthday with all those notes?

I got dressed into my black dress with a flowy skirt. I knew Roger was going to do something nice so I decided to go and do my makeup lightly. I found the black heels I packed and put them on. By the time I was finished getting ready it was 7:30 shit I didn't know I'd take that long.

8:00 pm

I made my way to the tree that Roger told me to go to. I saw a couple of candles surrounding a blanket, and there was a picnic basket as well.

I went to go sit down on the blanket when I felt a hand intertwine with mine. It was Roger.

"Rog what is all this?" I asked confused.

"I just thought it'd be nice to have a date to ourself y'know?" He said nervously.

"Oh alright, thank you," I smiled.

He helped me down onto the blanket and we had our dinner, sandwiches just like we had on our first date. He also poured red wine into the glasses, it was just like our first date.

"This is so thoughtful of you Rog, thank you so much." I beamed as I watched the stars fill the nighter sky.

"S'no problem at all love, really. I love doing things for you it makes me happy."

I got up and went to stand by the pond, it shimmered in the night as it reflected the shining stars. I stood there for a good few minutes, letting a cool breeze flow through my hair.

I came back to see Roger standing up. He motioned me to come over to him so I did.

"Maddie, when I first laid eyes on you, I knew we were going to have something special. I felt a connection through us as if we had known each other for years. You've made this past year and a half the greatest, and I'm glad to call you my everything. You mean so much to me, and I can't say enough words to describe my love for you." He said, I felt a few hot tears fall on my cheeks. 

He knelt down on one knee and took out a velvet box. That's when I knew what he was doing.

"Madelyn Grace Freeman, will you marry me?"